GO!

Is a Havanese right for this family?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Abby

The heartbeat at- Mommy's feet

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 2:22pm PST 
My mom's friend wants to get a dog, but they have a daughter with asthma. Since she has asthma it has to be a breed with hair or has low shedding. They're looking for a small dog for their one daughters who are 6 and 11. They don't mind have to get the dog groomed, have a huge fenced in back yard, no other pets, and can give it about 2 walks a day. Is a Havanese right for this family? They were also considering a Maltese.
[notify]
River

Always hug your- puppy...

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 5:45pm PST 
Hi Abby my new friend! Well...you have come to the right place to learn about us......I am my Mum's first Mum's Hava puppy....and she can hardly believe how friendly I am...I just love children...! I do not shed as such! But...gosh when I get brushed...gosh the tinest wee pieces of fur fly everywhere! Now I am just a baby...6 months! and gosh...just so cute! When I get a bit older my fur will change a bit...I LOVE children.... xoxo River
[notify]
Abby

The heartbeat at- Mommy's feet

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '07 5:33am PST 
Hi River! wave They're going to have to see how they're 7 year old reacts to the fur... Other than that it sounds like the dog for them! Thanks for the help, River! way to go
[notify]

Chester

I'm the- Prince of- Fluffyness!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 9:02am PST 
Hi Abby,
Sounds like a Hav might be the right dog for this family but I suggest that they go to see someone who owns a Hav to check if the daughter reacts or not. Maltese are also "non-shedding" but they are usually a little smaller and therefore a bit more fragile than Havs. But since the kids aren't that small anymore I guess this doesn't make that much of a difference. smile
Let us know what the family decides in the end, okay?
Take care,
Chester
[notify]