GO!

OMD never again.

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Oct 5, '13 12:54pm PST 
I gave Fritz a bath, NEVER AGAIN.

Next time I will pay someone to bath him.

* He is water proof, you can hose him for hours before his fur gets wet.
* He doesn't like water, you would have thought he was going to melt.
* He tried everything he could think of to get away, including soaking me,
* He started screaming like he was being melted with acid.(huskies can really scream)
* Then he shook water all over me again, to make sure I was wetter then he was.
* Now he is laying on the floor giving me broken hearted looks and sighing.

I guess I need to thaw out some chicken hearts so he will forgive me.

dog walk
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Sat Oct 5, '13 2:51pm PST 
BOL BOL!! big laugh Sounds exactly like Koby. It take 2 of us to give him a bath. When we're done..........it looks like he gave us a bath. big laugh
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Oct 5, '13 6:30pm PST 
Yep, that's why I pay the groomer the big buckswink The last time I gave Bunny a bath was when he got skunked. The time before that , I decided that I would rather pay someone to go through that torture. Money well spent, I sayway to go
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Oct 5, '13 6:34pm PST 
Fritz...you should have asked me first!!! Huskies are the absolute worse. Any of the Arctic breeds must believe they are made of sugar and will melt if they get near water OR a tub.
A few hints. You can stop them shaking by lightly holding one ear. And, wet them with a really dilute mix of your shampoo in a bucket of water, use a washcloth to really slather it on both with the hair growth and against it. The shampoo breaks the water repellency of their hair. Then, add more shampoo and you're golden.
Better yet...don't bathe him ever again, BOL. the saving grace is they rarely have really bad doggy odor.
[notify]
Trig

Barked: Sat Oct 5, '13 9:17pm PST 
My mom gets her two mediumish sized dogs bathed for like $20 apiece. She says it is the best $40 she ever spends as it saves her back!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 7:37am PST 
Thanks Toto, I will remember your tips. Luckily Fritz needs few baths(the time before this, I took him to the pet shop and used their tub. Maybe the novelty of being at the pet shop made him forget how much he hates baths)

I do think I will have a groomer do it next time, he can be mad at them instead of me. (it took half a package of chicken hearts to get him to forgive me)

BOL I doubt I could find a groomer willing to bath Fritz for 20, but whatever they want it would be worth it.

Thanks everybody for commiserating with me.dog walk

Edited by author Sun Oct 6, '13 7:43am PST

[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 9:12pm PST 
Every husky/mute that I have ever worked on HATED to be wet. I knew I was in for a soaking if I had one coming in. Boy you are right about the screaming though!
[notify]
Trig

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 10:02pm PST 
Make sure you ask what JUST a bath costs, as that is how my mom gets it done for so cheap. They might also blow-dry them, I'm not sure. One of her dogs actually needs the full trim/grooming thing done as well, but because the dog is so old she has them split it up between two or three days so the dog doesn't get so worn out. Of course since they are also old dogs they don't fight anything at all, so maybe it is cheaper because of that.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 8:56am PST 
I find it easier if you can somehow use a spray hose on them, pouring water over my girls is pretty useless as well. Jewel fits in the kitchen skin (much to her rage, she sings me a lovely song) and I can use the tap sprayer on her, Jem if I get her just right in the tub the shower hose can *just* reach her.

My dad claims to be gutting my basement this year and I've already told him he's putting in a big sink down there with a spray hose and I'll do both girls down there!
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 9:03am PST 
BOL!!! laugh out loudlaugh out loud I hear ya Fritz!! Weird though because mine absolutely love the water when they get to swim in it but when it comes to bathing, not so much!!
Luckily these breeds dont need to be bathed often!
And you are soooooo right about the screaming!!! I have had the pleasure of hearing Mika scream 3 or 4 times in the last little while.....at the vet when she got her annual shots recently, she screamed at the part where he took her temp shh
Then at the groomer when I got her nails clipped the other day, she hates it there, but her nails are black and hard to trim so i would rather they do it......then twice when she has had (forgive me) but a tiny piece of poop that just wont quite come out! big laugh You would think someone is torturing her the way she goes on! She doesnt know what to think, and I can imagine what my neighbors thought! BOL!! shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2