GO!

How to Stay Smelling Clean?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Oberon

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 11:20am PST 
So I'm trying to come up with a grooming schedule that keeps my 5 month old Collie Oberon clean and presentable while also not overdoing it.

I've had Poodles(Miniature and standard), a Dalmatian, two Shelties, and now this is my first Collie. Our Shelties never really smelled "doggy" unless they were going a wee bit too long without a bath, like two months. Our poodle takes almost as long to smell "doggy". And I'm not talking about the corn chip smell, I mean the Eau de Dog smell that makes you think twice about cuddling them on the furniture. Oberon however will smell that way by the end of the first week after a bath. He's in training to be a service dog and it is imperative that he smells either nice or unobtrusive. When we went to Hobby Lobby yesterday to train one of the employees turned to her friend and went "See? I told you I smelled a dog or something in here!". I don't think he smells at a distance (I notice it on my hands after petting him), but I was horrified and embarrassed. He was only bathed this past weekend. It's possible the employee was a jerk or had a sensitive nose, but I'lll never know.

Bathing dogs weekly is really not good for their skin, or so I was raised. Is there a particular shampoo that would do Obee's working-dog skin some good? Are there body wipes that will leave him smelling decent that I can use before we go out?

I always keep him thoroughly brushed, so thankfully shedding dog hair is not an issue.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 4:09pm PST 
That much odor in a young puppy sounds like it is coming from within. What is he eating, and how does his skin look??? It sounds more like a yeast or staph issue.
I've never seen any puppy, even a collie, who had any doggy odor much before 3 to 4 weeks after a bath, and usually less often than that.
That said, have you ever tried Fresh and Clean dog cologne by Lambert Kay??? It smells WONDERFUL, soft and not over-powering and lasts for several weeks or more. The spray is available at Petco and PetSmart, as well as most Mom and Pop pet stores. They also make a great shampoo, really mild, with the same light fragrance that lasts and lasts.
Use the original scent, the floral is a bit heavy for my tastes!!
We use the cologne exclusively in our grooming salon AND boarding kennel and everyone goes crazy over it. We won't tell our secret, so if you see any of my clients, DON'T TELL!!!

Edited by author Tue Aug 20, '13 4:11pm PST

[notify]
Oberon

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 4:36pm PST 
His skin looks great, which is what's weird. He's been to the vet and gotten a clean bill of health within the last two weeks. He is a Smooth Coat so it's possible that with less hair to hold in dander I'm being exposed to more than a long-haired dog.

He currently eats Taste of the Wild Puppy, it's about $48.00 for 30 lbs of food. I'm open to other possible foods within that budget. He receives absolutely no people food, every once in awhile he might get a plain piece of boiled chicken or baked beef liver.

Thanks for the cologne and shampoo suggestions! I'll get some of those anyway since it's nice to brush up on cleanliness if we're going to train in a public place. Keeps a sharp image. big grin
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 5:00pm PST 
As another service dog handler I understand your desire to keep your pup clean. The first thing I would look at is food. While Taste of the Wild is a good food your boy might be sensitive to one of the ingredients. Beyond that you might look into a supplement. I use Longevity by springtime inc. and find that it has improved Loki's coat immensely even though he is on a well balanced raw diet.

As for weekly baths those are perfectly acceptable as long as you're using a good quality shampoo and conditioner. Sometimes even that isn't enough. I keep a bottle of Coat Handler shampoo and conditioner around the house because it's mild enough to use for daily baths if something comes up (like that roll in the mud the day after the bath). Beyond that I like Isle of Dog, Lamert and Kay's Fresh and clean (it's a little stronger than the rest but I love the smell), Plush Puppy Australia, and Chris Christensen's dog shampoos.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 5:02pm PST 
Should not be any issue with TOTW... we LOVE that stuff!! Great food at a reasonable price.
Maybe, at his age, he could be having some odor from his mouth due to changing puppy teeth to adult teeth which he is getting on his coat by normal chewing and licking and just playing. That actually makes more sense to me. Puppy's mouths smell TERRIBLE during teething!!!
Try the cologne, (and shampoo) you will LOVE it, I'm sure!!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 10:08pm PST 
If he's doing well on his food but still smells, I would recommend trying coconut oil. I feed raw and Onyx thrives on it, but I do notice an increase in his doggy smell if he goes a week or so without any coconut oil. He won't smell terrible, but he will smell like a dog. On the coconut oil he's pretty much odorless. It's also supposed to help with bad breath.

Edited by author Tue Aug 20, '13 10:12pm PST

[notify]
Oberon

Barked: Fri Aug 23, '13 5:21pm PST 
I'm going to bet for the time being that the person suggesting it's his nasty teething mouth is right... Oberon is still cutting a few more teeth through his gums and his last tooth (canine) is barely hanging in there. His mouth is bloody every other day and has really not been pleasant since he started teething thanks to that. His gums and pearly whites are healthy though, so I guess I'll have to wait for him to finish cutting teeth and then I can start brushing his teeth. He licks on himself and chews on himself same as any other dog so I imagine it's transferring the gross mixture onto his fur.

The last time I had a teething puppy I was....oh...about nine (RIP Dusty!), so I guess I had forgotten the "side effects" besides trying to chew on everything. :p
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sun Aug 25, '13 10:34am PST 
I use the shampoo Bobbi Panter Moisturizing Dog Shampoo, that is limited ingredient. Hazel's skin is fine if I wash it once a week, but I mostly wash her every other week. Hazel smell's great, no strong odor's at all.

Also the odor may just be a male dog thing? Most males I have come across have this odor, especially our male boxer. It could also just be certain breeds that smell more strongly.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sun Aug 25, '13 10:34am PST 
I use the shampoo Bobbi Panter Moisturizing Dog Shampoo, that is limited ingredient. Hazel's skin is fine if I wash it once a week, but I mostly wash her every other week. Hazel smell's great, no strong odor's at all.

Also the odor may just be a male dog thing? Most males I have come across have this odor, especially our male boxer. It could also just be certain breeds that smell more strongly.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 8:14am PST 
Bumping to drown the spambots
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2