GO!

Is the de-shedding service at the groomer's worth the $$$$ ?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 12:52pm PST 
I got a couple of quotes today to get Chloe and Lia de-shedded. Both were in the $50-$75 range per dog. I'm just wondering if anyone has had it done to their dog and has feedback on whether or not it was worth the money. Like how long does it last and how much shedding does it really cut down on?

My baby just started crawling and she accumulates a disgusting amount of dog hair on her!! I vacuum daily and furminate my dogs at least once or twice a week but the shedding is still so out of control!!

eek
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 12:33pm PST 
There's no definite yes or no... thinking I have to say it depends on who's in charge of your dog. Some groomers will do a wonderful de-shedding treatment that REALLY gets the shedding under control, but others don't do the best and I've seen dogs go home with tufts still sticking out.

I mean, if it's done RIGHT, then yes it makes a huge difference and is totally worth the money, but be sure to check your dogs when you pick them up. smile

A little bit of shedding even after the treatment is normal, especially if you have super heavy shedders... Don't expect it will be totally 100%, but if you're still pulling out large clumps of fur, or petting them and your hand is still coming back coated in a dog hair mitten, then they clearly didn't do something right, or didn't brush your dogs thoroughly enough. Ask about satisfaction guarantees too. Good luck. smile
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 9:44am PST 
I just de-shed my dogs myself. The price you were quoted is average. You need an appropriate brush or comb for your dog's coat (usually NOT a Furminator), a good shampoo & conditioner, and ideally a forced-air dryer. I don't have a dryer, and I do ok, but I miss it enough that I plan to drop the $300-ish on a good one when I can.

You have to brush the entire dog, down to their skin. The problem most people have is that they use the wrong type of brush for their dog's coat, and only brush the surface of the coat while neglecting the areas fur really collects (underarms, rear end). Start at the "bottom" of the dog (legs/rear) and work your way up toward their head. Then a bath. I like to go over their coat with a Zoom Groom (or similar curry comb) while the conditioner sets. Now if you have a dryer, you get to blow all that water and fur you just knocked loose out of their coat, which is wonderful. If you don't, wait until they dry, then do another full brush-out. When you're done, you will understand why it costs $50+.

They usually do shed more for the next day or two. After that, everything depends on where your dog is in their shedding cycle. Mid coat blow, a de-shed is not going to make much difference. The fur is just being released too fast. Daily brushing is all you can do. At the end of a coat blow, or between them, this works really well to get all the loose junk out of their coat. I do what I described about once a month and the only time it doesn't help much is when they're actively blowing coat.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 4:24pm PST 
A trick many of us groomers use is to brush the dog well with a metal slicker brush, WHILE it is soaking wet and covered in suds. Not only will this remove TONS of hair that won't be flying around when we use the force dryer, but it also makes sure the shampoo and water penetrate thru the entire coat and undercoat. A good metal comb is also helpful when used on a shampoo covered dog.
Your satisfaction does depend somewhat on where your dog is in its shedding cycle when it is done. IF that hair isn't ready to come out, no amount of bathing, combing, brushing or blowing is going to get it to come out. It needs to already be starting to "molt", usually determined by those little tufts that are so fun to pull out, one by one, until you realize the entire dog is covered in those tufts!!!
As a groomer, I absolutely LOVE to have a husky, shepherd or lab with a loose double coat come in for deshedding because I know the client is going to be thrilled with the results!!! They usually will look like a completely different dog when finished!
My puppy lab Quincy was done twice this Summer, first in May at about 9 months old when his puppy coat started dropping and again in late June when the Winter undercoat was loose. With just those two times he hasn't shed ANY noticeable hair throughout my house, which is well worth the price, ($50 here), if I didn't do it myself and had to pay someone to do it! He is now good until next June/July when this years Winter coat will start to get loose.
If you bring your dog to be deshedded when those tufts are starting to show you WILL find it is well worth the money spent. Those prices quoted are quite good, even for our rural area, by the way!!!
[notify]
Zeea

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 6:48pm PST 
Hey I would say it depends I work at PetSmart and we have a package called the FURminator. I find it works well but it does depend on the groomer/bather you get I make sure to take the full 3 hours. The velocity dryer is great to use because the hair does 'fly' off.

If you are going to try yourself I do suggest get the FURminator conditioner/shampoo and let the dog soak in it. Then so you don't get the fur all over your house brush him outside.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 8:07pm PST 
The way I looked at it was if I was going to take my dog to the groomer anyway I might as well do the de-shedding treatment as it was not that much more than a regular grooming anyway and if it cuts down on the shedding it's worth it.
When I bathe them at home it seems to just make the shedding way worse, so on that count also I figure it's worth it.
I usually only did it like once or twice a year so it wasn't a huge cost, I generally did it before we went on vacation so she wouldn't be shedding as much at the hotel or rental cottage or wherever we were staying.

However my dogs that I've done de-shedding for were the type that shed seasonally so it may be different if you have a dog that sheds year round. My terrier shed year round but I never had him professionally groomed and the Furminator I owned didn't really work on his hair type.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 9:11pm PST 
If you don't brush out the dog until she/he is completely dry then that loose hair will be worse than before. I tried that once and poor Sassy was a mess, even brushing dry didn't help much.

I have found that taking the clean sopping wet dog for a walk with a brush and bag for the fur in hand works great. It doesn't take any longer to do this than blow drying either. Really important to get the dog completely dry though as most of the loose hair comes out just as it is nearly dry, more friction I think. When Sassy was blowing coat a bath/walk dry would eliminate hair in the house for about a week.

Wish this worked on Max and Ginger but they don't blow coat, just drop it continuously.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 8:15am PST 
Bumping to drown the spambots
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 1:55pm PST 
I'd recommend buying your own de-shedder, such as the Furminator or the ShedMonster. I have the Furminator for Delta and Snowy and a family member bought the ShedMonster and it works wonderfully on her two cats.

Both are available at PetSmart, but your store may or may not have them. I got my Furminator at Petsmart. I have seen the ShedMonster at Walmart, but again, this will vary on your location.

The Furminator comes in two coat types (long or short) and a variety of sized based on your pet's weight. The only difference is the rake size. I accidentally bought the long-coat version for Delta, but it hasn't done any harm. We also used it on our cat who weighs 10 pounds without any damage.

They are expensive, though, but it will save you money later on.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 2:06am PST 
As a groomer, I would say yes it's worth the extra money for what a shedless treatment does! I mostly deshed any dog that comes in anyway who needs it, but I offer a shedless treatment for an extra charge. This includes a shedless shampoo that sits on the dog for 10 minutes, to help treat the skin and coat and helps to release more of the undercoat. I will also spend more time brushing out the dog, if needed.

I put the dog right in the bath and after lathering the dog up with the first shampoo I brush through the coat. Rinse, then I put the shedless shampoo on, and brush through for the entire 10 minute duration. Rinse again, then I use the high velocity dryer which blasts any loose undercoat right out. Also the water pressure on the setting I use will get clumps of hair out too! It makes a HUGE difference. After the dog is dry I go through their coat again with a slicker brush and comb to make sure nothing else is going to come out.

I spend a lot of extra time for the shedless treatment, which is why I charge more for it. I believe it makes a difference and is worth it.

Also if the dog comes in and is visibly shedding (tufts sticking out everywhere) I will blast them with the HV dryer before the bath, to get the hair out before hand.

For example, if the dog looks like this: Shedding - Before

After blowing out with the HV dryer (before bath): Shedding - After HV dryer

These are my favourite kind of grooms! big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2