GO!

Can I speed up the process of growing my dogs coat out?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Elliot

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 2:49pm PST 
About a month ago my mom "surprised" me by taking my dog to get shaved (not like shaved bare, but it's pretty significant) while I was at work. shrug

Boy was I surprised.

Anyways, his coat is starting to grow back, and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to speed up the growth process? Such as like a natural doggy hair growth supplement or something of the sort.

^This sounds really awful, I know. I just want my dog to look like my dog again.

Any ideas?

Thank you. smile
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 3:09pm PST 
Max's fur got a lot longer when he started eating a raw diet with lots of fat and protein. Maybe add in a bit of scrambled egg to see if he tolerates it and increase a little at a time. Or try ground beef or canned sardines. Just be sure to add only a little more each day.

Be sure to keep brushing to get the undercoat out. That is my beef with cutting dogs down, the undercoat shows and is a different color and not shiny like the guard hairs. Sassy would have been a cream dog with a red head and tail cut down and Ginger would be the same. Yuck. Max would turn gray if trimmed down and lose his gleaming coat.
[notify]
Cody

Not dry biscuits- again!

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 11:02pm PST 
I'm not aware of anything that would speed up the growth process
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 8:51am PST 
Not really anything you can do. I emphasize - Ember had been shaved when I rescued her. She had about 3/4" inch of fur left. It took about 6 months to grow out to a point where the shave wasn't obvious, and about a year to loose the uniform length of the shave. Actually, you can see it on her profile - the main pic is the only one in full coat. Immediately under that is at the 6 month mark, where it's long, but doesn't have any natural variation in length. Under that is about 2 months post-rescue, and the 4th down is about a week after rescue.

Feed good food, and brush regularly. Since the undercoat will grow back faster than the guard coat, brushing helps keep the coat from matting up as it grows (which, worst case, could result in another shaving).
[notify]