GO!

Frustrated. Nails.

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 4:33pm PST 
Can you file them? I suppose he's buildt up some resentment towards the clippers by now.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 7:33am PST 
I don't really have any experience with this, but maybe your dog has some bad memories of nail clipping from the time that he was 8 months old. Check out www.dogbreedinfo.com and see if there is some type of article regarding this.
[notify]
Zeea

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 2:46pm PST 
Hey sometimes it is better to get someone else to do your dogs nails. I work at PetSmart and a lot of have customers say that they can't do their dogs nails but we succeed.

Try placing the dog on the dryer (if safe). Sometime it's the surface the dog is on. I know that sounds weird but when we get a dog on the table in the salon they can do a 160.

Another option as mentioned before is to not clip but grind the nails. You can buy a nail grinder, just don't get the Pedipaw and SunBeam it has a poor motor and isn't very strong (stops when nail is against it).
[notify]

Lacey

the duck

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 12:32am PST 
My dog used to do the same, run away, ride, touch my wrist with her teeth, kick me, use her front paws to knock the clippers out of my hand, the works. This is a behavioral issue like any other and you need to treat it as such. You need to make your dog think that as soon as he sees those clippers it's going to be the most amazing day of his life.

How close can you get with the clippers? Does he react when he sees them or you go into the spot where you keep them?
-teach that the clippers coming out mean nothing, remember this is him understanding nothing bad will happen you need to take this tremendously slow, your pet wont die if his nails get overgrown for a couple weeks while you re-teach this.
-take out the clippers, let the pet see you taking them out, walk around, do some laundry and generally go about your business, treat your pet often too!
-once you stop getting a reaction from just taking them out teach you having them means nothing either, hold them in one hand and walk around, treating frequently until you can pet your dog calmly with your free hand, at this point you want some very irresistible tasty treats and let your pet sniff the clippers in your hand, treat for any interest in the clippers and put them away and ignore your dog. Any petting or positive interaction will only happen while your dog is in close contact with your clippers, once them being near your dog isnt an issue start actually touching your dog with the clipper
-pet your dog with the clippers while feeding high value treats, feed dinner while petting your dog all over with the clipper, the idea is if anything good is happening the clipper is there and he's happy about it or at very least unconcerned.
-start focusing on the feet, do this before your first feeding of the day for high food motivation, take the best treats youve got and touch your clippers to your dogs feet for the shortest amount of time without making a sudden movement, as soon as those clippers touch your dogs paw, treat and draw back
-increase the amount of time you hold your clippers on the dogs foot and treat for increasing time and tolerance, make your way towards the nail and start at kindergarden again at the nail, one second and treat, once second contact then treat util youve given yourself enough time to clip something
-at this point again, restart but now treat for the clippers around the nail, rewarding for tolerance of the amount of time and pressure youre able to put on the nail

...you should get the idea here just continue rewarding and as you increase the time and pressure on the nail from the clipper you should be able to move forward. This is exaggeratedly broken down since you sound as irriated as I was when I started doing this and now my dog lays on her back and hands me her feet for nail trims.

best of luck!way to go
[notify]
Meme

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 8:18pm PST 
Our beagle acts just like yours about her nails. One trick that works very well for her is to have a helper at her head, you know attention hound. That distracts her. The other thing we do is take her to the fundraiser nail trims that the local shelter has on the week ends. They seem to have a way with her, probably from lots of practice with less than happy about getting their nails trimmed shelter dogs. They are nice but no nonsense with her, the groomers seem to give tones of treats and be scared of her so they just make her worse. Also to reduce the frequency of nail trims needed you can try taking walks on gravel or concrete/pavement and if you have a place, let your dog dig. We have a well fenced area (fenced into the ground so cant dig out) that we let our girl dig in everyday, so of course the area doesn't look pristine but digging reduces her nail trim needs by about 1/2. And she likes to diglaugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2