GO!

Thinking of taking Moose to get his nails clipped

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 10:02am PST 
I get Huck done at the vet. They take him and the back room and make me wait in another room. When I took him in Nov. they told me they put a muzzle on him,I freaked out about that, then I realized that he is a big dog and they don't know him the way I do, then they got him to lay down, 1 girl held his head down and another girl sat on him and the 3rd cut the nails. This Saturday, he went for his yearly exam and I told them to cut his nails. This time they said he was an angel. He sat still, 1 girl pet his head and the other clipped. So he's getting better. Maybe soon he'll let me start doing it again. If I take them in just for nail clipping, they charge me $16. When I take them in for their annual exam, it's no charge.

Edited by author Mon Jun 24, '13 10:08am PST

[notify]
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 4:46pm PST 
I can't hold Sausage still by force, so I clicker trained her to deal with nail clipping. This way it becomes a game, and they actively concentrate on holding their paws still for you. You might want to replace the click with a verbal thing though, since your hands will be full.

Basically:
1. Touch the paw, click and treat.
2. Hold the paw, click and treat.
3. Play with the paw a bit, click and treat.
4. Get out the clippers while holding the paw, click and treat.
5. Poke the paw with the clippers, click and treat.
6. Clip the air in front of his paw, click and treat.
7. Clip the tip of his claw, click and treat.

That's enough for one training session, the next day you might try clipping an entire paw and clicking + treating after each toe. Over time you'll stop clicking and treating for each claw, and only reward for clipping a whole paw, then only rewarding every second paw, then only rewarding after the entire clipping session is done.cheer
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2