GO!

Skunked

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 8:08am PST 
Question: how long does the scent of skunk tend to linger in fur?

My service dog was skunked yesterday during off-leash play time. In the face, of course.

I bathed her in a mixture suggested by my veterinarian that worked very well: hydrogen peroxide, liquid Ivory Soap and baking soda.

However, there is residual stink around her face where I had to be very careful of her eyes and nose because of the danger of getting the concoction where it would hurt her.

Any ballpark ideas about how long it takes for such scent to fade?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 12:20pm PST 
Sadly, once it gets absorbed into the hair shaft it lasts until that hair is shed, which is usually 6 to 8 months.
We just bathed a Golden that was skunked last October and she smelled just as strong today as she did then, once we got her wet.
It can help to shave the hair down as much as possible since it takes much less time for it to grow back to length than it does to complete the growth/shed cycle.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 2:18pm PST 
Sadly is too right!

Thank you for the information, though. It is good to know. This helps me plan my life. I'll need to work out a service human to help me while my service dog's out of public service.

Off leash playing at the park is a risk, (obviously) but one I think is still a necessary one because even though she's a service dog, she's a dog and needs to play and run.

And the incident was my fault. I threw the tennis ball too close to a bush where the skunk was hiding. It popped out and sprayed her before I even knew what was happening, wily critter...
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 2:34pm PST 
I wouldn't blame yourself. She definitely needs to play and stretch her legs, and there are going to be risks of some kind no matter where you go. Sometimes these things just happen and no one is at fault.

Hope she's smelling better soon! Onyx irritated a skunk last December, but I think it just sprayed in his vicinity (I'd let him out to potty and it was dark so I didn't see exactly what happened) because the smell was pretty much gone after a few days. Even so, it was not pleasant during that time.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 8:09pm PST 
Fortunately we haven't ever been skunked yet...paws crossed. But I have read that some people swear by Summers Eve Douche...if it's gentle enough for it's intended purpose it might be worth a try-guess you might wet down the smelly places with it, then rinse Good Luck
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 6:08am PST 
Thanks for the good wishes, all!

Toto, you said the Retriever smelled as bad as when first sprayed when you got her wet. Is it too much to hope that when dry, the smell fades over time?
[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 7:56am PST 
You can do a second application of The Remedy. Leave it on as long as you can & realy soak her. The smell will fade in time. Wiley is my skunk dog. He got it 3 times in 3 nights. We were in the middle of a long car/camping trip. The third time I left it on him for about 15 minutes, then did a regular bath about a week later. Although he smelled a bit when wet, it didn't last that long.
Good luck
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 11:07am PST 
Oh yuck, poor Iris..

The other night, my fiance and I were outside on the porch while letting the dogs out for their bedtime pee, and we suddenly got hit by this FOUL smelling skunk smell that wafted over to us. We instantly thought "Crap, the dogs!" and were checking over both dogs, but neither had been skunked. I'm fairly sure a neighbor dog down the street or a neighbor cat irritated a skunk and got the hit, but it lasted all night outside, and the smell even stunk up my house, even though it was down the street!

I don't know what I would have done if my dogs had been skunked. You should share this remedy for those who do get skunked though!
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 4:15pm PST 
The recipe I used is:

1 quart Hydrogen Peroxide 3%
1/4 cup Baking Soda
2 teaspoons of Ivory Liquid soap

I mixed it in a bucket and poured it over her using a cup and worked it into the fur. On the tender areas of her face, I used a soaked wash cloth.

As I mentioned, I had limited success with getting rid of the scent on her face.

The scent is slowly fading. My spouse notices it hardly at all. I notice it much more.

The recipe also made a good cleaner for the walls of the shower as I cleaned up after the second application. The room hardly smells of skunk at all.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:19pm PST 
Iris, unless you bury your nose in the hair, you WILL NOT smell it when she is dry after a couple of days, only when she is wet, so you should be safe to take her out working.
Sadly, (again), most of the skunk recipes, including the one you used AND the douche one, only work BEFORE the skunk pee is absorbed into the coat. Once that happens OR you bathe the dog in anything, more applications will not remove more smell since the smell that is left is already absorbed into the hair shaft. That peroxide/baking soda mix is especially drying for the coat AND the skin so it is generally a good idea to follow up with a good coat and skin conditioner. FYI, you can also use Dawn dish soap in place of the Ivory, but don't use the antibacterial ones, just the original or ultra formulas. Look for the wildlife picture on the label.
After being a groomer for over 40 years and treating hundreds of skunked dogs, I can say I swear by the peroxide/baking soda recipe and find it works better than anything else, even those special "Skunk Off" expensive products.
We buy the five pound boxes of baking soda and about 10 quarts of peroxide at the start of every Spring, and usually end up buying more during the Summer and Fall for those adventurous skunks that prowl in those warm days during Winter.
I was on crutches once and my crutches were sprayed by a 4 week old baby skunk we were rehabbing (long story, BOL).... I could NOT get that smell out of those crutches and ended up having to throw them out and get new ones!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2