GO!

coat changes shih tzu x

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Jessie

Love playing- with ozzy and- charlie!

Barked: Sat May 25, '13 4:32am PST 
Hi there,

my name is Janine i have a shih tzu x aussie terrier who is def more shih tzu then aussie terrier! Well in the last week when i use dog comb and slicker brush i am finding grey hairs as well as the charcoal grey hairs coming off. Im not alarmed but curious , we are heading into cold months here so is she shedding summer coat or is she going into puppy blow at 7 months old(next week)?

For almost a month she has been matting along her back i make sure i comb her everyday twice a day to keep them out but that doesnt always help as the next time i do it i find matts.

She was jet black and now faded to charcoal grey with grey/white hairs and her color is changing. Ears are going silver as well as above eyes, got silver on front of paws and grey on bits of her tail. Now along her back she is going a intresting color!

I beleive she may be a blue shih tzu with silver running through?
[notify]
Jessie

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 8:57pm PST 
Not impressed with the no repsoneses esp as new on here
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 12:30pm PST 
It is impossible to predict what happens to coat when you mix a terrier with a Tzu... one has hard, coarse coat the other has long silky coat and the two can combine to create cottony coats that constantly matt and have to be kept short AND brushed every day, or any other type of coat texture. The matting you are describing can likely be due to a mix of the two coats and have nothing to do with season at all. Most of these "designer" mixes are a nightmare for us poor groomers who have to deal with the mix of coat types!
Again, color in a mixed breed does not necessarily follow color patterns of either breed...most likely it will end up with a completely different color than EITHER breed has as an accepted color. It is extremely common for black coats to lighten up to gray in both terrier breeds AND in Tzus, so that can be a combination of both breeds, or either breed.
People always claim their mixed breed is more of one breed than the other, but, in fact, it IS a mix of 50% of each of the two breeds and it depends on which gene is expressed, there is never "MORE" of one breed than the other.
[notify]

Jessie

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 1:33am PST 
Thank you for the reply just got round to checking for replies. thats true though jessie does look more shih tzu in the face she is certainly 50 shih tzu and 50 aussie terrier!

Her tail is light brown but rest of her charcoal grey and she has a bit of red an silver on moustache but siver coming through on ears as well as her back. she is 8 months 24th june
[notify]