GO!

Matting advice

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 1:12pm PST 
Nick has a mat under each of his 'armpits' from his harness rubbing him. They are close to the skin and pretty hard and felted so just pulling them apart with my fingers won't work. He kind of freaks out over scissors when he can feel them on his skin so I don't feel comfortable using those. There's a possibility I could condition him to those little battery trimmers that don't cut the skin. Before I do that though, is there anything else I could try on these mats to loosen them up a bit or are they past that point already? Thank you!!!

Edited by author Fri Apr 12, '13 1:13pm PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 1:19pm PST 
There are detangling sprays but I think he's past that. There is a little trick of cutting the mat in half (or quarters) the lenght of the mat (like cut into it towards his skin) then combing it if you think that would work.

However you get it off it would probably work best to get him used to those clippers and trim that area once a month or so to prevent the mats from forming again.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 3:18pm PST 
Jewel, I need to clarify your statement to cut into the matt towards the skin, because I am not sure I am understanding what you mean. NEVER, EVER, EVER cut toward the skin with ANY matt. Always push the point of your scissors THRU the matt about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch ABOVE the skin, then TURN the scissors so the blades are facing away from the skin and cut toward the tip ends of the matt.
I can't tell you how many dogs I've seen who needed stitches because the owner sliced down a matt toward the skin and ended up slicing the skin that was caught up in the matt, OR the dog moved as they were cutting.
Check with your local groomer for help with this type of matt removal. We will do them on a walk in basis here and usually charge under $20 to take off armpit AND behind the ear matts. It takes about 10 minutes max.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 3:43pm PST 
I agree your method does sound safer Toto but the way I wrote it is the way I've seen it done. I've personally had to do it maybe once? And Jewel holds still for me, I won't be trying it on Jem anytime soon! shock
[notify]
Augustus- Gloop

Cheese, Glorious- Cheese...

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 8:26pm PST 
Just call around to any local grooming shop, most will do it for a minimal fee. I think our shop would charge $8 for pads, sani, and eye area. Arm pits take 2 minutes to shave out.
[notify]