GO!

A bit of an 'icky' question...

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 1:38pm PST 
Skip is a 13 week old, broken coated Parson Russell Terrier who seems to constantly get poop stuck to the hair around his bum :o/

It's a nightmare to try to clean off every time he poops and tonight I spent 20 minutes bathing him, trying to get rid of it...

My question is, is it a good idea to take him to the groomers and get the hair trimmed around his rear end? Or is there something else I can do to prevent it happening?

It's just horrible and because he carries his tail high, everyone can see it and I doubt it's very hygienic :o/

Any help would be greatly appreciated puppy
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 1:42pm PST 
Skip... just take some blunt tipped scissors and trim that hair away from his rectum. Keep the blade edges away from his skin and you will be fine.
But, yes... trimming that hair will remove the "collectors" and all will be well again.
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 2:42pm PST 
Thanks Toto,

I wasn't too sure if cutting the hair was the right thing to do and I know absolutely nothing about grooming puppy
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 2:47pm PST 
Oh yeah I need to do Jewel's bum every couple of weeks to keep her clean. My puppy already had her bum cut for me when I picked her up.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 4:23pm PST 
Yup... I even have to trim hairs around some of my Frenchie's rears. A snip in time saves furniture, rugs, hands and laps, and on and on and on from the ICKS.
It's not really "grooming". You can't hurt any future hair growth, etc, and even show dogs get their bums trimmed. If you have a clipper, that is sometimes easier than snipping them back with a scissors, but I usually do it with scissors and I have lots of clippers!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 4:34pm PST 
We used to have a Persian with the same problem...kitty litter stuck to her tail too. There was no way to clean her after every visit to the litterbox and the mats were gross. One day I wrapped her in a towel and had my son hold her like a baby. You can use safety scissors or actual hair shears-or have the groomer do it.

From then on every two weeks or so I would trim under her tail, around her butt and even the plumes on her back legs, everything that would drag in the litterbox. I think it makes the critter feel happier and cleaner too.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 7:53pm PST 
Trimming the rear of dogs really does help. One time, I didn't notice my dog had gone outside to do her business, but I definitely noticed what she had been up to when she went inside the house and she was dragging not a little chunk of poo but a big one. It got stuck on her hair. That's when I decided to finally start trimming that area. I didn't go to the groomers though, I just did it myself.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 8:41pm PST 
As a groomer, I trim around every dog's butt area. I just clip the hair around the rectum as much as I think I need to and skim in a straight line downward, so nothing that falls gets stuck in the hair. So yes, it's completely a good idea to trim the hair in that area! Keeps things nice and clean and will make things easier for you and your dog. Trim it as you need to, but of course be careful in that area. smile
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 12:36am PST 
Thanks guys puppy

I'm going out to buy some Brent edged scissors this afternoon puppy

It's just crazy how fast his fur is growing! It's only been the last week or so that this has happened :o/

But until he starts going to the groomer, I'll get him used to it puppy
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 5:20pm PST 
When I was dog sitting for 3 little dogs, 1 was a Maltese who had the same problem. I took scissors and had to cut the poo mats away and he felt a lot better
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2