GO!

Everyone's favorite topic - - Anal Glands!!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 10:58am PST 
How do you tell if the anal glands are full and need to be expressed manually?
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 11:58am PST 
Gahhhh, fortunately we don't have experience with this but I believe if a dog is doing the "boot scoot" rubbing it's butt across the floor and carpet and seems to be uncomfortable that might be the problem. You can do it yourself, but a groomer or vet might be willing instead...call your vet for advice.
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 3:32pm PST 
The first sign is the smell. If you can smell a strong odor on your dog's behind, chances are his anal glands are full. And yes, a dog trying to lick/chew his butt or trying to scoot it on the ground is also a sign of full anal glands, especially if you see a sticky, stinky residue left behind.
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 6:03pm PST 
How do you know if the anal glands are full by sight and by feel? Ewww. laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 6:29pm PST 
If you lift the tail straight up the 6 and 8 o'clock areas below the anus will be flat or slightly depressed if the sacs are not full. If they are full you may see some swelling there. It is easier to feel if they are full than see it and individual dogs have their own point of discomfort. Sassy's sacs could not even feel firm and she would be scooting and licking while Max's sacs can be seen as actual bumps and he is fine with it. You may see some pale thick discharge at the anus too. It varies a great deal in color and consistency but looks pale against a dog's skin tones.

I know way too much about this subject!
[notify]
Miss- Scarlett

Pick me- up...please!

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 4:03pm PST 
laugh out loudbig laugh Maxwell
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 5:45pm PST 
I have done anal glands for years and years being a groomer, but last week we had a Bassett come in and he had AT LEAST one half cup of fluid in his. I could smell them the second I picked up his tail and it looked like two tennis balls were in there. I instantly assumed infection or blocked and was ready to send him off to the vets. But, it was all relatively thin, clear liquid.
He was some happy when I was done!!!
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 7:38pm PST 
eekeekeek

Woah, poor guy! I'm sure he did feel better after having his anal glands expressed.

Edited by author Sun Mar 10, '13 7:47pm PST

[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 11:44am PST 
And Sassy would be licking and scooting with a couple of drops that needed to come out.......... Even when she was leaning in and helping express it herself there would be maybe a teaspoonful of gunk trapped.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 2:55pm PST 
I did Toto's today, it was his grooming day, and his were chuck full but wicked, wicked thick paste. AND, there was a two to three inch long "tube" thingie that came out, too. I have no idea what it could be but it was GROSS!!! Looked like the skin off an earth worm????
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2