GO!

Ideas to get rid of dandruff??

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 8:24pm PST 
Our weather has been all over the place lately and I recently noticed a lot of dandruff. I have bathed her in an oatmeal shampoo, but after a week and the dandruff is back! I was thinking about adding some coconut oil to her food, once daily. Any other ideas?
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:51am PST 
One of the biggest factors in contributing to dry skin/dandruff is diet. Adding coconut oil is a great idea. You can also add fish oil or flaxseed oil. If your dog is being fed a low-quality, grocery store food, consider feeding something more natural. There's a supplement made by Solid Gold called SeaMeal Powder that I recently discovered - it's great for skin and coat. I give it to the dog and the cats every day.

You can also look for shampoos that have coal tar or aloe in them.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:16pm PST 
Sonja has allergies and her nose, coat and skin were horribly dry. I switched her to "Wellness - Whitefish and Sweet Potato" mixed with "Organix - Salmon - Grain Free"

It's like night and day...her coat is soft...no more dandruff AT ALL...her dry crusty nose is gone. I've been very impressed.

She used to be on Science Diet Z/D Ultra due to her allergies but it just wasn't helping. So, I got the list of her allergies from out vet and started researching dog food labels.

Good luck!
[notify]

Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 8:54pm PST 
Thanks for the ideas! Chey is currently eating Taste of the Wild, Sierra Mountain. I first tried the salmon version, but it gave her diarrhea... She has been eating the lamb version for over a year now, without any issues. I'm not sure what is causing the dandruff other than the change in weather. So I thought I'd try the coconut oil and see how that goes. I even plan on taking some myself! Turns out it has a ton of benefits for people also smile
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 8:58pm PST 
When I had my rotties I used to wash them in tea tree shampoo and let it sit on them for 8-10 minutes before I rinsed and it used to get rid of the dandruff and give them a real nice shiny coat.
[notify]
Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 8:02am PST 
Sarge...tea tree shampoo? I've heard of it, but never have seen it. Can you remember a brand name or can I get some at Petsmart? I just gave Chey another bath outside yesterday with the oatmeal shampoo....good thing she Loves Bathes! Out of my 3 dogs, she is the easiest to scrub!
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 5:23pm PST 
Espree has a Tea Tree & Aloe shampoo that I use frequently on flaky dogs.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 8:08pm PST 
I used to use Tropiclean.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 8:09pm PST 
Oh and you can get it at Petsmart or Petco. smile
[notify]
Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 12:45pm PST 
Tropiclean, I'm very familiar with... I've seen it a ton of places! Thanks Sarge! Noah, Espree? Never heard of it...I'll see if its on Amazon, thanks!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2