GO!

Afraid of the combs/brushes?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:03pm PST 
WHAT?

I've never had this problem in my life. In fact, there's a lot I've never dealt with, in regards to a dog like Ria before.. But Ria is a whole new ball game for me. She lacks impulse control, can be overly dramatic, and is very sensitive. It's... weird for me.

Ria's fur is ending up all over my house and I finally got tired of it and opted to brush her out. Ha!

What a crapshoot that was!

She fought to get away, and when I wasn't trying to brush her, was happy to sniff and try to eat the brush. But as soon as it went near her at all, BAM, she would try to take off and would act like I was beating her.

I'm so confused.

I finally found a quick and easy way to clip her nails without her fighting me about it and thinking it was a game, thanks to watching how the groomer at my shop does it and taking tips from her. But now, I need to work on brushing.

Ria is a Lab/Border Collie mix puppy, whose got a thick undercoat and fur much like the Lab. She definitely didn't inherit any fur qualities of Borders.

Ideas on how to brush her without the fight? And on what types of brushes/combs to use?

I don't know why it is that I can bath and brush Border Collies, Pitties, Mastiffs, Rottweilers and Beagles but not her..

Grr.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:10pm PST 
Our Ferdie was a border collie who even ran in her sleep, but very carefully- that's when I brushed her, then when she rolled I'd be beside her doing the other side. By the time she woke fully I could hold her down long enough for a quick finish up...is it part of the breed? I dunno...shrug
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:47pm PST 
Lily was afraid of brushes. I started by putting the brush on the floor and tossed food around it. Eventually I got her closer and closer to the brush. I even placed food on the brush. I later would reach for the brush then treat then touch the brush then treat pick up the brush and treat and so on. We moved on to lightly touching her fur with the brush then treat then one stroke with the brush then treat and build up the amount of brush strokes then brushing while feeding her treats. Finally we were able to fully brush her then give a jackpot reward at the end. Now if she sees the brush she comes over and sits wanting to be brushed instead of hiding at the sight of the brush.
[notify]