GO!

Skip tooth blades

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 12:07pm PST 
Just wondering if anyone here actually uses skip tooth blades, either for dematting or regular grooming. I personally have never used one, nor met anyone who has. I've been told it's very easy to nick the dog with them so I'm a little nervous of even attempting to use one.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 6:33pm PST 
I always use skip tooth blades particularly the 4,5, & 7, for pre clipping prior to bathing and finishing. It really saves your fine tooth blades for finish work, and it is much easier to remove a dirty, clumpy coat with them.
The 7 needs care to prevent nicks but I have never had a problem with the other sizes.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:25am PST 
I'm the same as Toto, I was taught to use skip tooth blades for pre-work, and finish blades afterwards. Exactly what Toto said, I find it easier to remove the bulk of the coat quickly before the bath, and then I use the finish blade after drying to make the cut look smoother. I've never had a problem with skip tooth blades nicking a dog, but I am very careful with what I do, and have seen others nick a dog with them. You really have to be careful near skin folds, the hock area, ears, etc, but groomers should be careful people. smile I also know of people who don't even use them, I guess it's all about preference.
[notify]