GO!

Flat coated poms

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 9:45am PST 
Discussions about shaving double coated dogs always makes me wonder about this.

Remy is a flat coated pom. he's got some fullness around his neck and chest and his butt is fluffy, but in between he's super flat. I prefer to keep his coat natural and he'd probably look ridiculous shaved or trimmed short anyway, but would there be the same issues with how his coat would grow out as a regular double coated dog?

How do others groom their flat coated poms?
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:35am PST 
I don't know much about flat coated poms, but I assume that if the coat was shaved it would have all the same issues as shaving any other double coated breed. It's just the way the hair grows back on those coat types. When you clip off the hair, you remove the harsh outer coat, and the undercoat grows in faster, so for a long time you just have soft fuzz on the dog. On some dogs the outer coat never grows in properly at all, so you end up with a dog looking really patchy. I don't think it matters if the dog has an off standing coat or a flat coat.
[notify]