GO!

Dog nails - advice

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Bandit

I luvs slippers

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 6:40am PST 
Yeh, i've always looked at the bottom of the nail to see where the "quick“, or "meat" is but sometimes when dirt is present it is difficult to distinguish.

I was so surprised and delighted after soaking to see how much more defined it made the quicks.

Glad to help, since I collect so much useful information from this forum it is nice to be able to contribute once in a while.
[notify]
Kally

I caught a- squirrel once...

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 2:08pm PST 
Yes, thank you for that tip!! I appreciate all your feedback smile
[notify]
PE's Autumn- On Fire

Oodles of- Poodles

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 7:56pm PST 
Honestly if the vets are cutting them to the quick, a different groomer or whatever wont make a difference... if the length of the nails are bothering you or your dog that much, I would definitely let the vets put her out and cut them down. It is really the only way to shorten them more, and it will be less painful for her in the future because she won't get quicked as much after they cut them back while she's out. Other than that, filing is really your best bet even if she doesnt like it, or if sharpness is your issue you can look up nail caps online. They are plastic covers you glue on their nails and it makes the tips very blunt and smooth. It is painless to the dog, and they stay on for long periods of time. You can also get them in all different colors, if you like that sort of thing. Hope this helps.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:55pm PST 
I think you should go to the groomer. They know how to deal with those kinds of problems. There was one time we trimmed the nails of our dog by ourselves. We accidentally cut her, so we never even attempted it again.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2