GO!

Advice for first "pawdicure"

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 3:43pm PST 
I would welcome any suggestions for Callie's first visit to the groomers. His nails were scruffy from when we first adopted him and his dew claws look like cat claws. The groomer we visit has her own shop and has always been happy and patient with Sophie and even a neuro-challenged kitty we used to bring in regularly. She also does rescue work on the side so she has a sincere love of critters.
I just worry with Callie. Sophie is easygoing because she's so timid. But Callie has shown stranger aggression...then sometimes he's met strangers and happily wagged his stump for them. But you can't tell which way he's going to go in public.
I'm waiting until the end of the day when it's quiet and the owner knows he's coming. He is SUPER food motivated so maybe I should go alone ahead of time with some goodies for her to greet him with? I think he'll be okay but he's also so darn strong. When I've cleaned his ears it's like trying to hold on to a moving tank. Not aggressive...just determined to get away. I think if I sit behind him and hold/hug him securely she can do his nails pretty quickly.
Suggestions??? Ressurances??? Feels like when you're taking your human kid for their first haircut ya know???
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 10:33pm PST 
Groomers should be trained to know how to react and control most behaviour that a dog throws at them, so I think your dog will be ok for the first visit, especially if you are helping out. Sometimes it does take a dog time to get used to the surroundings and what is going on, so the first visit might be rough. I have had a few problem dogs come into the shop, who weren't yet used to strangers, but I reassure the dog best I can and use a firm hand to control the dog. I don't be rough or mean with them, but sometimes a groomer has to hold them in place with a firm hand just to show the dog that the groomer is in charge.

Good luck!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 2:01pm PST 
You're right, I was all worried about nothing, he did beautifully! In fact the groomer knew him already. One of the people who works for her also volunteers at the shelter he came from. She said she was happy how big and healthy he is now and what a great couple him and Sophie make. So proud of my boydog walk
[notify]

Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 12:45am PST 
Yay! I'm glad to hear things went so well for you!
[notify]
ROSCOE

The World Is My- Playground

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 7:36pm PST 
Glad everything went well. Sounds like he may have some fear aggresion but the groomer seems to have handlked it well! Lots of praise goes a long wayhug
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 9:53pm PST 
It's a good thing you took your dog to the groomers immediately. We opted to let one of our friends cut our dog's nails and Peggy cried out loud. She got cut a bit because she moved when our friend was in the process of cutting her nails. We learned a lesson after that and we now take our dogs for grooming to the groomers.
[notify]