GO!

PH levels - Why it's important to use the proper shampoo for your dog

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 12:22am PST 
I found a great page explaining PH levels. A lot of dog owners aren't aware that it's a bad thing to use human shampoo on a dog. I have heard some people around here ask about it, so I wanted to share this link:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/grooming/evr_dg_shampoo_for_dogs#. UOfiPW-x_RJ

Also wanted to quote this section from the page, since I think it's rather important:

"Therefore, if a shampoo that is formulated for human skin is used on a dog, the dog's acid mantle will be disrupted, creating an environment where bacteria, parasites, and viruses can run rampant. Unknowingly, many pet owners will repeat washings of their dogs because of the smell caused by a proliferation of bacteria, making the problem worse as the skin's acid mantle/pH level becomes more imbalanced. Additionally, if the shampoo makes the skin feel dry, your dog will scratch at its skin, creating abrasions for bacteria to invade. It quickly becomes a vicious cycle."
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 5:34am PST 
However, MANY human shampoos ARE the correct PH level for your dog and can safely be used.
One important difference between dog shampoo and human shampoo... human shampoo is required by law to list the ingredients, not so with dog shampoos. If your dog has an allergy, say to PEG 15, a common additive to shampoos and a common allergen, it is impossible to find a dog shampoo that is safe by reading the ingredients, however, selecting a human shampoo without PEG 15, then testing the ph is a simple thing to do.
[notify]