GO!

How Much to Tip a Groomer?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 1:11pm PST 
I can't believe people don't tip groomers, how awful. I tip well for a haircut, blow out, etc., why wouldn't people tip for a grooming? And I would think 20% is the minimum, less for a job you are unhappy with, more for a fantastic job. Just as one would tip for any other service, salon, waitstaff, etc. Of course, the standard tip does vary a bit regionally, but less than it used to.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 5:27pm PST 
Watt, years ago, in an effort to make tipping "easier" for our clients we changed our prices to numbers easily rounded off... instead of charging $25, for example, we made it $27 and hoped they would leave the $3 as a tip. (Those low prices are because this was YEARS AGO!). At any rate, it didn't make one bit of difference...those that would tip anyway still did, the others didn't get the message.
I have actually had people ask me if I was the owner as well as the groomer. They said you don't tip owners?????? What is that all about... IMO, the owner usually needs the tip MORE than an employee, BOL!
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 5:38pm PST 
Toto, I've heard that too, that you don't tip the owner. I don't get it! I think they think since the owner runs the business they make so much money and all the money from grooming dogs goes straight into their pocket. As if! Don't they understand there are bills to pay, and if you have employees, they need to be paid too?

I run my own shop and am the only one working there, and most of my clients have at least given me something as a tip, but I think there are a few who think that all that money I get from grooming their dog is income for me. They don't realize that I have to groom so many dogs before I can pay my rent for the month, then there's hydro, phone, supplies, etc to be paid on top of that!
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 5:45pm PST 
Our biggest expense is liability insurance, but no way no how can you run any type of live animal business without it!!!
[notify]
Monkey

Monkey face

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 3:38am PST 
Yes, it is ok to tip your groomer! Not only does your pet stylist appreciate it, it shows your appreciation of their work as well.

After all, you tip your hairstylist, don't you? Same thing (except we also clean the poo off your dog's behind!).

10- 20% is appreciated, depending on the service, condition of your dog, and if they fit you in to an already full schedule.

Edited by author Wed Mar 6, '13 3:39am PST

[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 7:33am PST 
When I worked in a groom shop as a brusher bather I didn't care how much someone tipped me. I was just grateful they appreciated my work. Same went for the groomers in the shop. I don't believe there should be a set limit. If you really appreciated and liked how the dog turned out and give me a tip then great. If not then don't. I've had favorites that came in that never tipped and ones that did. Didn't matter to me. I've only had one person groom Sarge once and that was just recently. She's bathed him before a couple times so I decided to go ahead and try to let her groom him. I normally don't trust anyone to groom him the way I want so I prefer to do it myself. When she did him I gave her a $10 tip because I know it takes forever to dry him and the way his fur is you have to fluff him back out a few times to make sure you groom him evenly.
[notify]
Wiliam C

if i see it its- mine,

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 3:34pm PST 
It amazes me that some people don't think to tip a groomer considering all the work that is put into grooming. I normally get tiped 5 dollars. It amazes me because I charge very little for grooming (less then the majorty in the area) and yet people just seem to ASSUME that they shouldn't tip. saying that I don't ASSUME that I am getting a tip. Tipping is up to the tiper so if someone is happy with the groom then tipping says you liked the job not tipping sends a clear message either your extremely cheap or 2 you didn't like the groom.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Oct 28, '13 3:42am PST 
It's upto you. Normally u can gift some dog related product.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3