GO!

How Much to Tip a Groomer?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 3:50pm PST 
If you don't know 15% is a safe minimum across all services, wait staff, bellhop, valet, maids, groomers, hairdressers, shoe shiners, dog walkers, bathroom attendants, some doormen, some checkout baggers, all sushi chefs, some caddies even some tailors. 10% if the services sucked or you are really cheap, 20% if you are contentious, more if it's the holidays or if there are large groups or difficult or risky circumstances.

Those of us that live on tips would like those of us from Europe where the tipping system is outdated and discouraged to know that just because you come from a place with better wage structure doesn't mean that you get to pay nothing extra the way you do at home.

Edited by author Sat Dec 1, '12 3:53pm PST

[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 5:54pm PST 
I had a customer tip me $20 the other day just for a $10 nail trim because her dog was so bad! laugh out loud I was VERY appreciative of that! We rarely get tipped at our salon either, so I'm grateful for even $2. :/

Edited by author Mon Dec 3, '12 5:57pm PST

[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 6:55pm PST 
I just got tipped $10 today on a $45 groom, and the owner paid up front and even tipped up front... That's never happened to me before, where they tipped before they saw the finished product. This was a brand new customer as well, so it's not like she knew exactly how the dog would turn out. There are some awesome people out there!
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 6:44am PST 
To add another perspective to this, when I worked as a dog walker/pet sitter, I was tipped very frequently. I had one customer who would tip me $5 every single day, and many others who would leave me $5-$10 at the end of every week. They were always very generous around the holidays and most knew when my birthday was. But I suppose that that is a different sort of relationship than one has with a groomer since I saw these dogs most every day of the week, knew the owners better and was being trusted with access to their house.
[notify]
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 11:59am PST 
Let's Talk! Do You Tip Your Groomer, Dog Walker, or Pet Sitter?

Inspired by this Forum thread!

hailhailhailhailhailhail

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 12:58am PST 
I am a dog groomer and most commonly get between $5-10 for families with one pet. Some of my clients give me $20 and very rarely anything higher than that. I have a pretty good client base and a lot of my regulars tip more around Christmas. Keep in mind groomers spend a lot of time with your pet and don't just "cut" the dogs hair. They spend time brushing, washing, drying, clipping the nails, cleaning the ears, clippering your dog and then scissoring after. There are a lot of steps to grooming so when you think to tip less because its just a dogs haircut remember its much much more.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 7:44pm PST 
I'm a groomer in vancouver Canada. I get tips from some customers. Some never. But some give large generous tips at Xmas but not the rest of the year.
Groomers should get tipped as I believe service people no matter what business go an extra mile when they know they are appreciated.
Of course I treat all the dogs well but I appreciate tips greatly as well as my employees.
[notify]
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 5:01pm PST 
Slowly becoming zombie thread, lol

I'm a groomer, and it's honestly a little annoying that I hardly ever get tipped. In a normal day, I am lucky if out of the 6-7 dogs I'll have that just one person will tip. But most days I don't ever get tipped.

I once got into a conversation with a customer, and along the way she mentioned that it had never even occurred to her that you should tip your groomer.

Maybe it's just the way I was brought up, but I figured it was common knowledge, and common curtsey, to tip the groomer. I always did before I started grooming dogs myself shrug

Maybe it's just my area, lol. Because, now that I think about it, I am in an area where the vast majority of people have overweight dogs, still believe firmly in dominance in dogs, breed their dogs for the heck of it, and are astounded that their dogs should be walked every day shrug
[notify]
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 7:08pm PST 
I think groomers are saints! I always tip our groomer $5 for the $40 groom and she is appreciative. If I could give more I would (and will before Christmas). Thank you to all the good dog groomers out there!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 7:24pm PST 
Well, For me! Grooming at home builds trust between you and your pet. Using a professional dog groomer is good decision because dog grooming companies are familiar with the correct way to groom dogs and they know what is best for your particular breed. Between visits, it is important that you continually groom your pet as well.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3