GO!

Nonshedding? How to tell?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 5:17pm PST 
I have a foster dog of unknown parentage and am wondering if there is a way to tell if he is a shedding/non-shedding/low-shedding dog?

Sorry if this is a dumb question! I had someone call on him tonight and they absolutely must have a "nonshedding dog". I had to tell them I have no idea. I did kind of grab his fur and pull and some came out in my hand, so that's what I told them.. He has very wiry hair- looks like a possible Border Terrier mix???
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 5:30pm PST 
Well, Princesse sheds when I pet her. Her fur flies everywhere. Bunny only sheds when his fur gets too long, he has an undercoat which comes out in tufts or "tumbleweeds" .

ETA you could pick him up and see what sticks to youthinking

Edited by author Sun Nov 18, '12 5:31pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 4:43am PST 
Pretty much non shedding are those dogs that grow LONG hair, as in continuing to grow length instead of getting to a certain length and stopping. Dogs like poodles, maltese, Bichon, etc.
I don't consider any terriers that I can think of non-shedding. IF, when you ruffle his coat you get loose hairs he is a shedder. In the case of my poodles, NO hair comes out, even with brushing UNLESS it is caught up in a matt.
[notify]

Jethro

Jethro Gibbs

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 7:18am PST 
All Dogs Sheddhappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dance
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 11:56pm PST 
All dogs shed, it's a misconception that there are "non-shedding" dogs (well, maybe very few breeds that are basically hairless could count as non-shedding?).

Most dogs with double coats are the worst for shedding - like Shelties, Golden Retreivers, labs, etc. The hair you see everywhere is usually the undercoat falling out. Even short haired dogs like Pugs and such shed - in fact they shed a lot and it will be everywhere.

Dogs that are so-called "non-shedding" are dogs like Shih Tzus, Poodles, dogs that grow longer hair. The reason people think they don't shed is because the hair that falls out usually gets caught in the rest of the hair and doesn't fall out as easily. Also dogs that don't have double coats don't shed as much because they don't have the loose undercoat to get rid of.

Shedding isn't as big of a problem as everyone makes it out to be. Of course I'm a groomer saying that though so I know how to deal with it. If the dog is brushed out properly and regularly, and also deshedded probably then you'll find almost no hair laying around your house from your dog.

It doesn't matter what kind of dog they end up with, there is still care to be given to the coat. It will either need to be clipped down to prevent matting, or brushed out well and deshed to prevent hair from getting all over the place.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 8:02am PST 
In that picture you posted in another thread I'd say he's going to shed. Some people do well with terrier hair I hear over say an Aussie because of the texture I guess. But if they're looking for a shih-tzu then he's not for them.
[notify]
Eclipse

I am a Diva- Girl

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 2:58pm PST 
I know that too My mom is a groomer too,
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 4:02pm PST 
They were looking for a Brussels Griffon because they are apparently non-shedders??
This is him- THe picture makes him look a little extra fuzzy. He really has very coarse, wiry hair, doesn't seem to have much of an undercoat at all, if any.
Howie
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 5:50pm PST 
He is adorable! Looks like Artie's fur. Artie sheds plenty if you don't brush him out but he has so little fur it isn't hard to stay on top of it. A furminator cards out the old stuff nicely and never fear, he is good and scruffy looking in a couple hours. No spiffing him up for long!

Another reason some dogs are called non shedding is they are groomed regularly so dander doesn't build up. Dog hair tickles the nose but it is the dander from shed skin that is the problem, not hair itself. A small dog should be easy to pop in a bath and this little guy won't take long to towel off and be ready to go either.

A long time ago I read an allergic person went to a dog show and asked handlers to let the dog lick her arm. She found a breed she didn't react to and adopted that breed of dog and lived happily ever after. Might help, I know Dobermans and Bouviers will give me rashes but my dogs are fine.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 1:49pm PST 
Well, after having him at the vet's today I can tell you he definitely does shed! The stress had his hair falling out quite a bit! He doesn't have a TON of hair though so I don't think he'll be a heavy shedder.
[notify]