GO!

Breed specific observations

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 11:48am PST 
I do about four or five Akitas here, no problems with any of them, except two are grossly overweight and a bear to lift to the table!!
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 3:47pm PST 
Akitas aren't very common in our salon either, but one of our groomers does one that belongs to her husband's boss. She's a sweetheart. Just wiggly, and likes to lick everything! laugh out loud I was helping hold the dog still while she scissored up her paws today, and I had to say (to the dog... as she was licking me all over) "You know, Pearl, your kind isn't supposed to be this friendly! I think there's something wrong with you!"

But in all seriousness I can't think of any Akitas off the top of my head who have been a problem at our salon. At most, they just can't stand the dryer getting anywhere near their head or neck, which CAN be a problem because those coats are so thick that if their owners want their dogs dried completely it will take literally ALL day... Other than that, I would personally much rather do an Akita than a Sibe or Malamute any day. laugh out loud

As for comparing Doodles to Standard Poodles...? Oh, I would much rather to a Poodle! Doodles are CRAZY at our salon. They're dopey as dopey comes (no offense intended) which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you like those joyful, care free, must-make-friends-with-EVERYONE personalities, but it can be very difficult to groom a dog like that. Purebred Standard Poodles are usually pretty good, if not great. smile

Edited by author Mon Nov 19, '12 3:48pm PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 8:36am PST 
Our Mika came to us at 9 weeks afraid of everything,we were less knowledgeable then but did everything from the start slowly, and socialized her until we were ready to drop,she is by no means agressive. she is simply very fearful of things,we continue to work with her and she is getting better but in all honesty we don't bathe them often because we have always been advised against more than two baths a year unless they get into something ,which they tend not to do,Mika feels she will melt instantly if touched by water,so she avoids it,she doesn't seem to like odd noises,like spray cans ,dremmels,dryers,even when we use them,and we do take her to the vet to get her nails trimmed and she is an absolute angel. Kai tends to fear nothing but does not like the bath process,he wears his own nails down well so rarely needs more than his dew claws trimmed,but even having been brushed daily from the beginning,he just does not want to be bothered,if he sees the brush he wants to leave,it takes forever to brush him. We have tried lifting him,he is by no means overweight,just huge,he is at about 28" at the shoulders and the last time we were able to lift him he was around 110+ so even the vets no longer try putting him on a table,they simply sit next to him on the floor and examine him with no problems, They are able to get Mika on the table,she is only about 75 pounds,but prefer not to stress her,both are easily examined and will even give the vet doing the exam kisses,so I guess it is really just a matter of not being overly used to the process and the fact that they will try to get away with more around us than they will with someone else,the vet can trim nails by the way with no problem even when we are in the room.
[notify]

Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 9:36pm PST 
I'm not a groomer, but I can say that there are a LOT of poorly sociailzed Dalmatians in my area. When I worked as a vet tech, we called them "D***atians" at my last clinic because EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. we had in on a regular basis was a nightmare to do ANYTHING with. Nail trim? Get two techs to restrain and one for the nails! Blood draw? Forget it, sedate the dog...
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3