GO!

Breed specific observations

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 4:54pm PST 
I've been working in my current salon for about 2 years now and during that time, I've come to notice that certain breeds some to all act in the same way. For example:

- Schnauzers hate having their feet handled
- Goldens like to it down on the table and are always pawing at you
- Malamutes/huskies hate getting wet
- Biting dogs are more often small than big
- Dobies like to kick like mules when you trim their nails

Anyone notice the same sort of things? Or want to add any observations on your own?
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 8:19pm PST 
Haha! Yes! I've noticed things like this at our salon too. smile

Beagles think they're immune to gravity, and will repeatedly try launching themselves off tables and out of tubs.

Pugs almost always take 2 people to do nails on.

Pit bulls are always crazy for the blow dryer, and always put up a huge fight for nails too.

Shiba Inus put up a fight for everything. They might as well be cats, because they hate being bathed and will throw a huge fit if even the slightest amount of water touches them, they hate being brushed, they hate their nails done, etc.. Huskies aren't much different.

...And this isn't related to any specific breed, but you can pretty much guarantee that any dog named Prince or Princess, or Precious, is going to be big trouble! wink
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 1:10pm PST 
LOL...these are interesting. Any observations about Standard Poodles?
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 2:49pm PST 
IF started right, Spoos are the BEST!!! They will JUMP up onto the table or tub, no lifting involved. They will either stand OR lie down on their side and keep that position forever and, unlike minis and toys, they aren't a problem with feet.
BUT, pulling hair out of those ears is a BEAR, especially if they are big and taller than I am when on the table!!!!
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 7:45pm PST 
Poodles/doodles are either the best or the worst dogs to groom. People either take extra special time and effort to acclimate them to grooming or they do nothing at all and they are a complete nightmare.

Couldn't agree more about the pug and shiba observations!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 8:42pm PST 
Noah...please do not compare a doodle to a REAL poodle. There is nothing similar at all in their temperaments!!! No decent poodle breeder is going to allow their lines to be crossbred, which only leaves the worst of them to mix breed.
Doodles are all over the place in their unpredictably... A poodle is a poodle is a poodle and I have a ton of them in my grooming practice and do not have an issue with even one of them!
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 8:43pm PST 
When I took Nare to a self serve dog wash, he was howling up a storm and while I was trying to calm him down a groomer put her hand on my shoulder and said all Shepherds are whiners.

Is this true? laugh out loud
[notify]
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 9:08pm PST 
Any groomers out there.....have you ever groomed a Coton de Tulear?????
Observations????
I love this thread!applause
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 9:13pm PST 
In the shop I work in, we have a gated area by the grooming area, so if needed we can put the dog were working on down at a moments notice. Male yorkies pee everywhere!!
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 3:31pm PST 
Toto: I stand by my comment because it's what I observe in my salon.

I'm not a fan of doodles either, but we do have several horribly behaved poodles because their owners can't be bothered to train them properly.

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '12 3:32pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3