GO!

best dremel for small dog?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 8:12am PST 
Hi, I have been using a regular nail file on Cookie for a while now, but it takes a long time and I'm ready to find myself some kind of dremel so that I am more willing to file her nails everyday so maybe her quick will recede back a little. Her nails aren't crazy long, but I just want to get them a bit shorter.

I've searched online, but i can't find any solid information.
things that I've heard which concern me are:
1) So "pet" dremels don't work on big dogs, but will they still work on 8 lb dog?
2) a regular quality dremel would be too much for a little dog and would heat up her nails?
3) there is a different tip I can buy that works much better than little sand paper tubes?

I think I want a corded dremel vs rechargeable.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 2:59pm PST 
This is the dremel I use at work:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TU0XG4/ref=oh_details_ o03_s00_i01

It is rechargeable but it works very well on small and large dogs because it has two speeds. Use the low speed for little dogs and the high speed for bigger dogs.
[notify]
Ch.- Rushwind's- She Who- Speaks

Thats Ms. Bitch- to you.

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 6:20am PST 
I have one from Petedge that I lost the tip with sandpapers to. I use the stone attachment (I'm not super sure what it's for, it does the nails just as good?) I would use that on a small dog.
[notify]

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 3:27pm PST 
Thanks for posting this, as I have been curious, too.
I have just recently begun using a basic 79-cent sanding block from Sally's (based on another dog owner's recommendation) and it works pretty well, but takes for-ever!

Will be watching this thread, great suggestions so far!! way to go
[notify]