GO!

Clipper Combs

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 9:06pm PST 
I haven't used clipper combs (snap-on combs) much yet, but I was wondering about getting some and trying them out. I have a few plastic snap-on combs (don't really like them much either) and I was wondering if there was something better out there. I use an Andis clipper, with Ultraedge blades. What do others recommend in the line of snap-on combs? What should I be looking for in a snap-on comb? Also, what sizes should I be looking for; Should I grab a bunch of sizes or are there a few that are "must have" and used the most.

Let me know!
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 12:00am PST 
I was never a huge fan of combs on dogs unless used with a clipper vac. Unless the dog has really good coat it always seemed to me that I spent more time cleaning up after them than if I'd just hand scissored the dog to begin with. That said when they came out with the stainless steel ones I felt those were a big improvement. A lot on what you "need" or will use with combs depends on the particular clientele you deal with and how they like their dogs. Combs were a huge help on some of the larger 'doodles' and occasionally a cocker who's owner wanted them shorter but not scalped.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 5:32am PST 
I only use ONE clip on, and I hate that one!!! If there are ANY snags in the coat the comb WILL catch on it and gouge a hole in the coat. It is MUCH easier and faster to scissor.
The one I use is about 1 inch and I use it on just two dogs.
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 8:09am PST 
I also would be interested in getting some info about them. My mentor has had me use them in the past for taking bulk off of a dogs coat and then going back over them to make them look pretty. The clipper vac systems are pretty snazzy too, I would love to invest in one someday.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 1:51pm PST 
@Noah, I figured I would update this post because you might be interested in the combs I bought.

I ended up buying a clipper comb set by Wahl - http://www.renspets.com/universal-guide-combs-8-stainless.html

It 's a set of 8 combs, the teeth are made of steel so they don't bend as easily or break like the plastic ones. They also secure to the blade on all 4 sides so they don't slide off the blade. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they seem to be very good quality and I'm sure work much better than the plastic ones. Also they fit on my Andis UltraEdge blades, #30, #15 and #10.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 7:52pm PST 
I actually bought that exact same set a couple weeks ago and I really like them. I personally use them with a 30 blade.
[notify]