GO!

Dyed my dog.

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Beauty

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 6:16am PST 
Without the use of pink kool-aid wink

Anyway. I've expressed interest before about turning Beauty into a Cheetah for Halloween, well I chose Leopard instead and decided to try my ideas before I meant to showcase it and see how they did. Well it's a good thing I did smile

I used "Black" and "Golden Brown" Henna Hair Dye for humans that I got at the local health food store. This is completely chemical free and contains all organic dyes. I put Beauty on the table with a plan in mind that I would do her brown spots and the black only spots first, and if it took quite a long time give her a day between the coloring of the outside of the spots. But the whole process in total only took about 2 hours.

So we started with the brown dye, and paint brushes:

First, the brown spots

Then as well let those set for 40-50 mins we figured it was set enough to do the black outsides on the same day.

Then, the rest of the black

I'm sorry I don't have a close up of the spotting. The face details were always meant to be done with an eyebrow pencil and not the dye, I also have ides about tying up her ears and making sure the back of them are black with white spots, but since this is not the time, I didn't bother, I was only concerned with testing my coloring theories.

About 30-40 mins after we finished the black outlines it started to rain so we had to take Beauty off the table and bring her inside. And because of that they didn't get very long to set; today some of the black outlines are smudged.

Overall I'm not going to keep this formula or change the way I prepare her coat. Being organic human dye it's meant to absorb into the human hair and "stain" it. Beauty has a somewhat hard water resistant coat so it did not soak in well, a lot of the color came off and what did dye was rather light giving a "washed out" look, I want VIBRANT permanent color. I want this to last 4-6 washes.

I wanted the henna powder color so I could toggle t he water and make it a bit thicker if I wanted, but my local store only had the cream color.

My next thought is to somehow locate, because it appears they don't make "Bashful Brown" anymore, the 2 colors I need in the Petedge gel dyes. I know I can get black, but if I can't get brown too I likely won't get either.

And my other thought was to prepare her coat by washing her in whitening shampoo and warm water. This will open up the follicle and prepare it to hold color better.

This will wash out I'm thinking almost immediately, MAYBE 2 washes. So I'll be trying my next theories sometime after that and before Halloween.
[notify]
Beauty

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 5:38am PST 
It's been 11 days and 1 wash (today)

Beauty today

The color seems to hold well on her softer/shorter hair, which is understandable, it nearly completely out on the top of her back. I'm going to wait a while and do 1 more wash and whatever isn't completely out by then will just be re colored over.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 1:28pm PST 
I love it! I wish my dogs weren't so dark, I really want to do something with them for halloween.

It was very creative of you to use the Henna and Beauty looks awesome! applause
[notify]

Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 2:02pm PST 
Cute!happy dance
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 3:18pm PST 
Will you wash it all out after halloween? I would never dye my dogs. It's just not for me. smile
[notify]
Beauty

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 3:33pm PST 
There's no intent to "wash it out", it will come out on it's own eventually over 6+ weeks.
[notify]
together us- 2

let your love- show!

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 8:59am PST 
wow..you must be so good at standing still for grooming! applause
nina would look like a zebra stung by a bee.. big laugh
we used to paint the white flag on the tip of Joey's tail neon colors using a magic marker, it wore off in a few weeks.
we get our nails painted spangly sometimes, caused a huge stir in the west indies people stopped dead to gawk! big laugh
excellent job!
leopard dots are more staggered and not quite circles, more like camo..they say to draw them like macaronis on youtube tutorials.
very cute idea! blue dog
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 6:10pm PST 
I think it's a cute idea, and she does look good in spots! smile I know it was just a trial run, but the spots on both cheetahs and leopards are closer together than that. Leopard spots are harder, but you did a good job with them. big grin

leopard

cheetah
[notify]
Beauty

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 6:52pm PST 
Yeah this was simply a color test. The face and tail detail wasn't even done at all. When the final coloring is done it will be to scale.

I also don't care for the spots on the leopard photo you posted, and realize that all animals are different. I'm going to be modeling her (I've now changed it to cheetah because Petedge doesn't carry Bashful Brown anymore) after a different style of spotting.
[notify]
Beauty

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 8:36am PST 
Here are a few of my refrence photos for when I'd planned on doing a full body leopard:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/DRssaluki_girl/ junk/African_Leopard_Samburu_National_Reserve_Kenya.jpg

http://i2 32.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/DRssaluki_girl/junk/howtodrawleopard spots1-714x832.jpg
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2