GO!

Color dyed dogs?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 9:18am PST 
I don't have an issue with it morally... But to dye your dog pink/red... I just don't understand the thought process behind it. Especially when it can take months to get rid of.

If it was an urge you had to dye your dog's coat, why didn't you just buy a toy dog and dye that?

I'm not trying to be a party pooper and I get that Halloween is a popular time for making your dog multi-coloured, but do change a pure white dog's coat to red???

That's extreme!!

If someone dyed me blue without me having a say in the matter, would that be okay? Even if it was just for a laugh?

I just don't like it shrug And I think Rocky would take my face off if I tried to dye him a different colour lol... My boy is very proud puppy
[notify]
Beauty

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 9:21am PST 
So you attemped to put blue dye on him, so why did you have red dye and why didn't you take ihm out of the tub the moment you spilled it? hmm thinking

I don't buy it. You made your dog look ridiculous and don't want to own up to your stupid idea.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 10:21am PST 
I don't have any objections..as long as the dye is totally safe for dogs, & can be easily washed out. I enjoyed that show about the competitions for poodles..there were some really unique & labour intensive looks! My fave was the buffalo. bollaugh out loud
But I totally agree with Beauty, this is an odd situation at best.
[notify]

Bambi

Yes, I'm a boy,- just like the- deer!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 3:22pm PST 
There is no reason the humanize the dogs here. They don't care what color they are, regardless of if they can see it, just like they don't care what color you are. Last I checked, most dogs don't fix their hair in the mirror before going for a walk. While some dogs are going to object to the process of dyeing the hair (read: bath), once it is done and they are dry they aren't going to obsess over it. It doesn't affect the dog's mobility like some clothes do, or even make them feel weird because they were shaved (which can actually cause cuts, ingrown hair, etc if done wrong). Will some people think a dyed dog looks stupid? Sure. Just like some people don't like tattoos or piercing. You shouldn't give a rat's behind about what other people think you should or shouldn't do with it when it comes to something as trivial as dyeing your own darn dog. There are a lot worse things you could could be doing to your dog.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 3:36pm PST 
If the dye is Kool-Aid, you're in for six months of this color, more or less, regardless of whether it was intentional or not. If it is Kool-Aid, it's perfectly safe.

Yes, actually, a fifteen-year-old study on growth of cancer cells might well be wrong or lacking many things we've learned since then. Because research on dogs considered uncool by most of the scientific community until the last decade, I wouldn't waste my time on something fifteen years old as far as dog biology and perceptions.

As for why anyone would do it, and the insulting "why not get a toy instead"--if you have a light-colored or white dog with a coat type that lends itself to interesting and varied clips, it can be fun. A lot more fun that a stuffed toy, for sure.

It was my sister and my niece, a few years ago, who dyed Addy pink with Kool-Aid, not me, and I wasn't thrilled, but what Addy noticed and cared about during that time was that we couldn't walk down the street without hearing "What a cute dog!" She got lots of highly enjoyable (for her!) attention.

If you use something non-toxic, and don't do a clip that's uncomfortable to the dog, you aren't doing any harm, and your dog may very well enjoy all the attention, from you and from others. But, yes, you do need to check your local laws, because there are stupid people everywhere, and sometimes they make laws.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 7:56am PST 
Actually, I find some of the ways they creatively dye poodles for competitions to be fascinating:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208913/The- poodles-transformed-pandas-horses-snails-creative-grooming-dog-shows .html
[notify]
Kovu

Soooooooooo- HYPER

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 5:35pm PST 
You're going to have to wait for the poor baby's fur to grow out and shave him.frown Kool-Aid is definately no what you want to use, nor food coloring. I would have suggested the color spray as said above. Non-toxic and washes out with ease. Good luck with your pink doggie.waverainbow
[notify]
Cider- Doughnut- Shenanigans

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 5:42pm PST 
I stencils and kool aid to dye designes in Cider al the time! There is no harm in it, and it isn't like she cares or is even aware of it! I don't understand why people find it to be cruel. Is it because you think it looks silly so it must be cruel? Because if thats the case then it must be cruel to do some of the fancier hair styles on poodles, because those are som pretty silly looks-continental cut anyone? Or miami clip? (sorry poodle owners, as a groomer i actually like those styles just trying to make a point)
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 10:10pm PST 
I don't see the harm of coloring a dog, as long as the dye is pet safe. The dog doesn't know nor care what color they are, it's no different than any other grooming to them.
Sure some people may think it looks silly or ugly but if you don't like how it looks, that's not a good reason for no one to do it, is it? thinking

As far as the method and color, yeah I would have suggested something different if you wanted something 'cool' and just for Halloween. Maybe blo-pens, or (non-toxic, colored) chalk. Those are a lot easier to do on a non-Poodle coat, allow for patterns to be created rather than just an all-over color, and can be easily washed out unlike Kool-aid.

That shade of pink is not very flattering unfortunately, he reminds me of a Boxer who came into the clinic with extreme allergies recently.
I am not sure what you can do about it now though, except do regular bathing and hope it fades quickly.

Edited by author Fri Sep 21, '12 10:12pm PST

[notify]
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 10:35pm PST 
Could you maybe wash him with a mixture of Dawn dish soap and a couple drops of bluing agent? Like Mrs. Stewarts Bluing? It is supposedly safe for dogs. I know I have used bluing shampoos on Daisy before. Though be careful, too much and you might have a blue, or in this case, purple dog! Though maybe that could be what you are going for...

Edit: Here is the product website: http://www.mrsstewart.com/pdf/pethair.pdf

Edited by author Fri Sep 21, '12 10:36pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5