GO!

Color dyed dogs?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Gamma

Waitin' at the- Rainbow Bridge

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 1:01pm PST 
Long story short- he got dumped with the kool-aid, and it made him a slight pink tint, hoping to hide/wash it i soaked him in the tub and tried to put blue flames on him for halloween. thats when i dumped the tub of red dog dye which turned him the bright pink that he is now. looking back now i should have just stopped with him light pink, but no i didnt want my manly pup any shade of pink. now hes neon pink. i guess this goes to the lesson of "stop while your ahead" lol sorry on the confusion, these past days have been a rush and didnt have the time to type it all before the next thing went wrong. lol
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 1:32pm PST 
Gosh, that's weird looking... Your beautiful dog now looks... Odd.

To be honest, I don't know why anyone would want to dye their dog's coat... I don't like it.

Imagine if someone grabbed you and dyed your whole body bright pink without you having a say in the matter.

Looks like you're going to have to get used to it though... Maybe you should change his name to Bo Peep? Lol.

Edited by author Tue Sep 18, '12 1:33pm PST

[notify]
Gamma

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 2:37pm PST 
dogs cant see the red color spectrum so he doesn't even know. lol ive come to terms with it and its fading on everything but his back.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 3:01pm PST 
Gamma, you might want to do a bit more research on color perception in dogs. The below study, in addition to many others with the same conclusion, allows that dogs DO see red.

"In an article entitled “How Dogs See Color” by Dana K. Vaughan, Ph.D., Dept. of Biology, University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh, Dr. Vaughan reports that, yes, dogs can see colors, but somewhat differently than humans:

“These experiments showed that dogs do see color, but in a more limited range than that seen by normal humans, who see the rainbow of colors described by “VIBGYOR”: Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Red (plus hundreds of variations on these shades). Instead, dogs see “VIBYYYR” (Violet, Indigo, Blue, Yellow, Yellow, Yellow, and Red). The colors Green, Yellow, and Orange all look alike to dogs; but look different from Red and different from the various Blues and Purples. Dogs are very good at telling different shades of VIB apart. Finally, Blue-Green looks White to dogs.”
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 3:03pm PST 
Sometimes a little colour can be fun - http://www.poodleforum.com/3-poodle-pictures/18499-lumis-ponydoodle. html
[notify]
Gamma

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 3:36pm PST 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog#Vision
http://www4.uwsp.edu/psych/ dog/la/drp4.htm
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/2 00810/can-dogs-see-colors
http://www.vetinfo.com/dogsee.html#b
htt p://www.performancedogtraining.com/wp-content/uploads/dog-vision-mil ler-murphy.pdf

5 references for you supporting my claim. smile

Edited by author Tue Sep 18, '12 3:39pm PST

[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 6:46pm PST 
I have issues with your references:

Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information about anything, so that source is out.

The second link is an article that is almost 15 years old.

The fourth link only has one cited study to support his hypothesis, and that study is over 15 years old.

The fifth link is the aforementioned study that is over 15 years old.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just saying you need better sources. I do, however, disagree with the practice of dying dogs.

Edited by author Tue Sep 18, '12 6:47pm PST

[notify]
Gamma

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 8:55pm PST 
that wiki entry gives several reliable sources, and a study is still a study. would you say that a particular study on the growth of cancer cells be wrong if it was 15 years old? no because biology does not change that fast. it takes hundreds if not thousands of years for a species to develop something as complex as a color cone in the eye.

it may look a bit strange or silly but if it doesn't harm the animal i don't see a problem with it. people do alot weirder thing with their pets than dye the coat. why not take a stand against ear cropping or tail docking those actually harm the dog and they are done only for looks.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 10:30pm PST 
rainbow
[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 11:13pm PST 
Wait...why do people "disagree" with dying if you use non-toxic dyes? I'm talking about the practice of dying dog hair in general, rather than particular methods. I don't see how it's that different from doing a specific cut or style - in the end all you're doing is manipulating the dog's hair, and as long as your products aren't harmful it's not like most dogs are likely to care. thinking

For those who said that, is it just that you prefer a more natural look or do you actually find it morally objectionable in some way? It's possible I'm misunderstanding here.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5