GO!

Color dyed dogs?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Gamma

Waitin' at the- Rainbow Bridge

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 4:44pm PST 
ive seen a few dogs that are colored to look like tigers, pandas, ect.. anyone know of a safe non-toxic way to dye a dog? im hoping to turn Gamma into some awesome wild animal for Halloween. im thinking kool-aid or maybe kid-safe food coloring? but idk how to get the color to stick for more than a few days. any ideas?

Edited by author Sat Sep 15, '12 4:45pm PST

[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 5:46pm PST 
I would check the laws in your area. I'm pretty sure in sone places it's illegal.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 6:18pm PST 
I know that kool-aid works and lasts more than a few days. My daughter decided to add a few streaks to her very blonde hair and although some of the color did wash out over time,she had to have it redyed at the salon to get the pink/red out. Do make sure that it doesn't violate any local laws and be prepared you may have to cut the hair or shave the dog to remove the color.wishes
[notify]

Remington's- Saturday- Night Spe

Cute-- and I know it!

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 6:26pm PST 
Poodles can be colored with food coloring/Easter egg dye, chalk (paler effects) or try Manic Panic from a beauty supply store. Poodles are dyed all the time.
[notify]
Beauty

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 6:38pm PST 
There are professional grooming dyes you can buy, it's the consistency of a hair gel. I don't think I'd trust human dyes to be pet safe. They all say not to get it on your skin and such.

Or you can use washable marker blow pens. Those work really well, for detail.

I'd like to color Beauty like a Cheetah for Halloween
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 6:57pm PST 
Petedge.com sells a dye specifically for pets in a number of colors. Blowpens are also a good option as mentioned. A lot of groomers do use Manic Panic and I have in the past with no issues.

However... because of the nature of poodle hair, and the nature of a smooth coated dog you are going to have a much more difficult time getting the color to 'stick' due to the nature of the hair. The In that case blow pens are generally a better option.
[notify]
Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 5:21am PST 
We used kool aid a few years ago and sadly, had to wait for it to grow out to get rid of it. Last year we used the spray hair coloring that comes in the cans at Halloween and it worked great and came out with no problem!
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 1:25pm PST 
I just wouldn't do it. Not exactly my thing. XD
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 4:49pm PST 
Hubby wants the boys to have mohawks for Halloween and wants Jasper and Sumo's to be dyed black along with their tail poof. They go to the groomers next week so we will see how ridiculous they look afterwards. laugh out loud
[notify]
Gamma

Waitin' at the- Rainbow Bridge

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 6:43pm PST 
well, seems as i have gotten my wish. by complete accident i might add. lol we where having a football party over to watch the game. seeing as the colors are crimson and creme we had Cherry kool-aid in a large 5 gallon drink thing. Gamma wanted some and ultimately dumped it on himself. so now my manly intact pit bull is pink. yes pink. like double bubble pink. lol anyone know how long he should stay pink? btw his hair is normally snow-white.

Edited by author Sun Sep 16, '12 6:44pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5