GO!

Breeder said she uses Bath and Body Works body wash for her pups...?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 3:23pm PST 
Thanks for the responses- I started grooming my dogs myself about 8 months ago and it's going fairly well- they're not perfect, and it's a work in progress big grin...but they're very good on the table and that helps!
I'm going try the Pantene, and see if I can find out what pH Bath and Body Works are. if I do, I'll post the info.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 4:07pm PST 
I don't use dog shampoo on my dog. I would not use Bath and Body Works either. That company uses artificial scents and colors for most products. Being kinda granola and earthy I avoid artificial chemicals in products.

I use Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap on my dog. It's not PH balenced for dogs or people as far as I know. It lathers nicely and uses all natural ingredients. I also use it to hand wash some of my clothing and to mop the floors when mixed with vinegar. The scents are extracts of real herbs. It comes in Peppermint and lavender. Probably other scents too, but those are the two I use. The company says it's for everything.

I don't wash my dog very often. I don't think it's important to use PH balanced dog shampoo if you are not washing your dog often. Growing up we always used dish soap to wash dogs. I would think it would be ok to use Bath and Body Works as long as your washing your dog less than once a month.

I use lavender soap because it's a smoothing herb and has a calming affect.
[notify]
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 8:17pm PST 
Frankie's Mom....did the Chris Christianson products you got not work well on Frankie? Forgive me if I missed a post but I thought you had bought some whitening shampoo and now I am curious if it didn't work well. Thanks.
[notify]

Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 2:07pm PST 
Have you tried Earthbath or Cloud Star Buddy Wash? Both of those brands leave my dogs smelling awesome.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 3:15pm PST 
thanks for all the new replies, and thanks once again to Toto for enlightening all of us! big hug

LilyAnn, I am trying to do the home-groom, too..once in a while we still go for the big groom..

Keeva!! I was just thinking about you the other day! smile

I *do* still LOVE the CC products, and will purchase and use their stuff until it is discontinued or no longer works for us...but when I smelled that wonderful, clean, mild, slightly sweet scent in her dog, it reminded me of the very day I brought Frankie home from the rescue group. It is something I will *ALWAYS* remember, and will ALWAYS try to find out what it was!! wink (I had emailed the rescue lady, but she was so vague about it, and I never pushed for more info. She was one to drop the dog and disappear, which is fine smile )
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 3:29pm PST 
WinnieMae, I do have an almond-vanilla spray from earthbath, and it does smell good!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 6:09pm PST 
You also need to keep in mind the canine nose. I feel guilty when Sophie sneezes after I've put on fragrance. Even in another room she huffs for awhile afterwards. Human fragrances can be overwhelming to dogs really. A dog shampoo thats unusually great smelling but gentle is Buddy Wash...lavender, rosemary...the scent stays for days. dog
[notify]
Sherlock

Resident of 221b- Baker Street

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 1:06pm PST 
Glad I stumbled across this topic.

I never thought to get litmus paper and test the pH of products. Thanks Toto! way to go
[notify]
Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 2:39pm PST 
Im a groomer...ive gone threw schooling to groom and i would HIGHLY NOT ever use any human shampoos/soaps on a dogs skin (due to the ph ballance being totally diffrent) this could really irritate the dogs skin!! seriously this breeder sounds like she isnt all there. I hear people saying they use dishsoap too cause they saw it on the tv but i wouldnt reccomend it!!!!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 7:41pm PST 
Barbie or Princess or Emma or whoever you are today, it is a simple matter to test the ph of ANY shampoo using litmus paper. Trust me, there are hundreds of so called dog shampoos with ranges way out of those acceptable for use on dogs skin, and a correctly balanced human shampoo is going to be much safer to use, since human grade shampoo ingredients have much stricter standards for inclusion, unlike dog products which dont even require listing of the ingredients on the labels.
And, Dawn dish detergent has been extensively tested to prove its safety and efficiency for use on animals, including dogs. Hundreds of veterinary dermatologists recommend and use it , and as a professional groomer and dog person for over forty years, I would trust this research more than something someone says on an Internet post.
All you need to do to find statistical testing results is a quick google search. You don't need to watch TV at all.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2