GO!

Breeder said she uses Bath and Body Works body wash for her pups...?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 6:59pm PST 
I was at the vet the other day and another lady had one of her dogs there. We chatted as we both waited for the vet and she said she is a breeder. I commented on how nice her dog smelled and she said she uses a body wash from Bath and Body Works...the dog smelled by far better than anything I have ever tried...and believe me, we have tried LOTS!!

I am thinking of going with the warm vanilla sugar scent, but in looking at their stuff, they have shampoos, conditioners, CREAMY body wash (apparently not just a 'regular' body wash...??), shower gels, and fine mist sprays....

Normally I would balk at the thought of using stuff form BBW for a dog, but this lady said she has been breeding yorkies for years and dang the dog did smell gooooddd...she also seemed very knowledgeable and very much like she took excellent care of the pups she raised..

Thoughts...?
or at least please help me decide which one to pick out....? (shampoo or bath gel or a spray....?)
yeesh, never thought I would be considering BBW stuff for the dog...red face
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 8:36pm PST 
I'm assuming Bath and Body Works is stuff for humans? I would recommend not using it on a dog, as the pH balance of dog shampoo is different from human shampoo... I know a lot of people try weird stuff, but as a groomer I wouldn't advise doing it. There are scented shampoos for dogs, which most don't have a very strong fragrance but it does leave the dog with a nicer smell. There's also colognes for dogs, but I've never actually tried any so I'm not sure how they smell or how strong they are.

If you were going to try anything that's made for humans I would be very careful about the ingredients in it and how it will affect your dog's skin and coat.

Also some breeders do some weird stuff... lol. My mom is a sheltie breeder and she puts stuff in the dogs' coats that I wouldn't want anywhere near my dog!
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 9:46pm PST 
Turner, yes, it is for humans. I know the norm is not to use human grade shampoos for dogs, but as you say, breeders apparently do unusual things..I need to read up on it more tomorrow when my tired old eyeballs are better rested..see if they do animal testing, etc..not that it would guarantee anything, but now I am curious..
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 11:41am PST 
I also recommend against using human products. I would just look for better smelling dog products. If you're like me and have limited dog shopping choices in your area just wait for a dog show to come by and head on in to sniff away. I came home with a very nice cherry rinse that a vender helped me pick for Jewel's hair type and it's wonderful! A nice light scent and makes her so silky soft it's hard to get her hair into a topknot afterwards.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 1:13pm PST 
All you need is some litmus paper to test the ph of the human products. Actually, MANY dog products are also way out of the correct range for dogs skin and there are lots of human products which are perfect...Pantene is one, as well as Treseme and a number of others. Having poodles, I find a human shampoo with a correct Ph and containing a conditioner leaves my dogs coats in the best condition for showing.
And, yes, we use Healing Garden and/or Calgon body mists for finish sprays here. Again, check the ph, and avoid alcohol inclusive products.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 2:03pm PST 
EXCELLENT advice, as usual, Toto!! way to go
Jewel, that cherry rinse sounds awesome!! way to go

Now to get me some litmus paper..thinking
Thanks, all!! smile
[notify]
Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Seize life by- the big stick!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 5:38am PST 
I have to second Toto's comment. I've tried all types of dog shampoos on Marlowe, trying to find one that doesn't strip the oils out of his coat, but still makes his curls crisp. Several of the dog shampoos left him itchy, but at the suggestion of a handler, I tried a mix of a Pantene shine shampoo and Pantene for curly hair, and he looks great without any skin irritation.

If it works, don't knock it. smile
[notify]
Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 4:46pm PST 
What pH range are you looking for in a dog shampoo? I'd like to try some different products.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 11:10am PST 
You want as neutral as possible...6 - 6.5 works well.
[notify]
Kovu

Soooooooooo- HYPER

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 5:14pm PST 
I have always used human body washes and shampoos on my doggies for they smell great and i have never seen any negative effects about them at all. My doggies fur is actually more lush and soft than it is when i used a doggie shampoo. blue dog
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2