GO!

SHEDDING!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Hunter

Can I please- give you a hug- and a kiss?

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 12:56pm PST 
Hunter is shedding so badly that it is driving him and me crazy. The other hounds are shedding as well, however, it is manageable. I brushed him with a hound glove for a good thirty minutes this morning and got off a crazy amount of hair but it didn't even put a dent in the shedding. He has long hair for a Basset and he his hair is super thick and coarse. I'm considering taking him to a groomer and letting them deal with it, but I won't be able to get him their until next weekend. What can I do besides brushing him like crazy? And do you recommend a type of brush that would be more effective than the glove? The hound glove I have gets a lot of hair off, but it is messy and does grasp onto the hair very well.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 2:19pm PST 
If this is a big change for him then consider a health issue. Sassy had the very worst shed ever just before she was diagnosed with kidney failure. I suspect that she was dehydrated now. If you touched her a cloud of dandruff and hair came off her and there was a crime scene outline of hair when she got off the sofa. Float his food maybe. Check first morning urine's specific gravity maybe.

Combine that hound glove with a bath. A warm bath then brushed/combed/ruffled until completely dry removes lots more hair than a simple brushing as the hair grabs the brush/comb/hand just when it is nearly dry. I do that during a walk and carry an extra bag for the hair I take off. A bonus, you can take a walk during warmer weather as the dog stays cool until dry!
[notify]
Hunter

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 5:51pm PST 
He has always been a bad shedder so I don't think it's a health issue, though I will definitely keep an eye on him. He goes to the vet for his yearly check up next week so I will mention the shedding. I gave him a bath last week, but I may try giving him another one tomorrow. One thing that I think helped, he spends a lot of time on our enclosed patio and a lot of hair had accumulated out their since the last time I swept it really well. This afternoon I gave the room a really good cleaning and got rid of all of the loose hair. This seemed to help him a little as he isn't picking up loose hair when he lays on the floorlaugh out loud
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 6:54pm PST 
A rubber curry brush might help. If possible go to an equine supply store and pick up one of the horse ones as they tend to hold up better and work equally well. Other than that a good groom ever 3 months or so would likely make a huge difference. With a good deep coat conditioner and the force dryers a Good groomer can get much more hair out much quicker than you normally can at home.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 9:01am PST 
I second what Happy said. Kashmir has longer fur for a Boxer and she sheds like crazy. That rubber brush works like a charm on getting all the hair off. Could the shedding be what he is eating? I know when Kashmir was eating Pedigree her hair was falling out in clumps. I switched her food since then and she doesnt shed as much, but still does. Brush before bathing and brush after to get the hairs out also.
[notify]
Hunter

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 1:13pm PST 
I don't think it's food, he's on a rotation of Taste of the Wild and Wellness Core. I'll get him to a groomer next week and see what they can do. I think I know what type brush you guys are talking about...

This is what I'm using http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3706202&lmdn=Pro duct+Type

Is this what you guys are talking about?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=370617 7&lmdn=Product+Type
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 2:03pm PST 
Something more like the Kong Zoom Groom would be closer to what I'm recommending. I Personally prefer the horse brushes, but if there are no tack shops near by the zoom groom will work. It does tend to wear much faster than other styles of brush, but the soft flexible teeth go a long way towards getting the hair out. I also recommend using it when bathing at home. It does a wonderful job of getting shampoo into the coat as well as loosening up hair that you can later get out.

A furminator or one of the knock offs might also help on his coat depending on how thick it is. You can ask when you go to the groomer because it's always easier to tell when you have hands on the coat.
[notify]
Hunter

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 9:13pm PST 
Oh Ok! I saw one of those at PetSmart the other day and will pick one up and try it out. I brushed him a couple of times yesterday and today and it seems to have helped a little bit. I'll just be glad when shedding season is overrelieved With 4 Basset Hounds, unless I vacuum everyday, the hard floors look like carpetlaugh out loud
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 11:32pm PST 
You could always shave him! I threw in the towel when my clean laundry was coming out of the dryer still covered in dog hair- for weeks on end- in spite of using the Furminator half an hour a day.
[notify]