GO!

Recommend a good Undercoat Rake

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Chloe

Honey Bear

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 11:59pm PST 
Hi folks! I'm on the hunt for a good undercoat rake.

My undercoat rake is really annoying me, and this season's shed it got on my last nerve lol. It gets the undercoat out okay, but at the end of each stroke the fur just goes flying all over the place, instead of gathering between the teeth to be collected.

I had a really good undercoat rake when my GSD mix was still alive, but it must have gotten lost in a move at some point.

Chloe has a medium-length coat that lays fairly flat, if that makes a difference.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 6:06am PST 
Not sure what an undercoat rake is, if it's a special tool - but, we use the Furminator -- and it's great. Gets at the undercoat and leaves dog shiny looking. Hair collects between teeth, and pushing on the button at the top releases the hair for disposal. The only thing is, with a long haired dog, you might have to dispose of hair after every stroke because it can only hold so much hair.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 8:02am PST 
I also use a "knock-off" furminator. But I also have a great undercoat rake that I picked up at Walmart...of all placeslaugh out loud I can not recall the brand..but I do recall it was only about 5$. It unfolds & is flexible, so one stroke can do the back & sides at the same time. In its *folded state. it is a loop, so cood for chest, neck, & butt feathers.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 11:01am PST 
I use a Mars Coat King #14 on Max's medium/long not very dense double coat. Does a great job keeping the fur together until I remove, I call the stuff that gathers fuzzy caterpillars. There is a knock off at Petsmart but it didn't work on Max or Artie as the teeth were too close together. This didn't work very well on Sassy's short super dense double coat where a furminator worked brilliantly.

The MCK is not regarded highly by groomers, they say it cuts the coat. I diligently used the suggested metal flea comb for over a year and could tell no difference in his coat at all. I suspect it all depends on how vigorously you groom. A pro is going to work harder than I do, it is their job to get the dogs done properly and quickly with as much shed hair off as possible.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 6:51pm PST 
Depends on what groomer you're talking to Maxwell. I'm a big fan of the MCK for shedding dogs, especially over the furminator that tends to irritate skin and is easy to overdo.

As for a good rake any rake is likely to be decent. Petedge.com has a number of models depending on your budget and interest. I prefer the simpler one's myself and almost always prefer a short toothed verity over a the long teeth which tend to have sharper points and can dig into the skin. Think mine might be a Safari, but I've had it so many years it's impossible to tell anymore.
[notify]