GO!

Clipping straight flat coats

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Joe

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 3:05am PST 
Hello everyone!

Something that's been bothering me for a while. I seem to have a lot of trouble clipping dogs that have flat/straight coats. e.g shih tzu hair that's really straight and sits close to body. The blades don't seem to pick up the hair. I have to continuously brush the hair up, and even still, it's very difficult. So I end up going shorter because it seems that only blades 5 or 7 seem to have a smooth finish. And i don't necessarily want to go that short. Any suggestions or tips?
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 1:49pm PST 
Practice... that's the biggest part of it.

A clipper vac can be a huge asset in these cases but you have to remember that it does take the coat Shorter than standard blades.

I'll add that a lot of those breeds just don't clip well, Yorkies with good coat are some of the worst. Shih Tzu's with soft coats are a bit easier but even then it takes practice, thinning sheers and a soft hand to get a smooth cut.
[notify]
Joe

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 11:42pm PST 
Hmmm u r right and i practice more than ever before.it is much better
[notify]

Ch.- Rushwind's- She Who- Speaks

Thats Ms. Bitch- to you.

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 5:41am PST 
Yorkies are the worst. I've gotten the hang of it now because the place I work at now their family raises yorkies, so there is always a countless number of them running around, and coming back in from grooming.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 3:43pm PST 
Are you using skip tooth blades or finishing blades. We use the 4FC instead of the 4 for straight coats. Makes a HUGE difference in preventing the chopped look.
[notify]