GO!

Shaving to keep them cool?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 1:14pm PST 
I just have to comment on this, I have two small dogs and I keep them in puppy coats in the summer not because I think it will be cooler for them. But it is eaiser for me we live out in the country by alot of woods we have a bunch of fleas and ticks and when they have long coats it is a pain in the butt to constanly check for them, Plus Mozart's hair is like cotton candy super thick and cottony and mats very eaisly we have a baby pool in the back for the dogs and Mozart loves to go in it with his long hair after he went in it if I did not blow dry him and comb him out he would have horrible mats on his legs and body. I see no problem in people wanting to shave their dogs that is their decision to make it is their dog. But I do agree that cutting them short does not help to keep them cool and they are definitely more exposed to the sun. But would groomers rather have people keep their dogs in long coats in the summer and not brush through the dog everyday and have horrible mats or shave them down shorter??
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 2:10pm PST 
Mozart, you're talking about a completely different kind of coat, and completely different approach is needed. But some of the same common sense cautions are needed.. IE if it's super short then keep them out of the sun and heat...

I've worked my stock dogs in full coat in the heat for years on end.. the only heat stroke I've ever had to deal with was with a young dog that Was shaved.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 6:36pm PST 
Wrong coat type, Mozart.

Yorkies, Bichons, Maltese, Shih tzus etc don't have an undercoat. What is on the top layer of the coat is what it is all the way through. You can style them any which way you want to and the cost will petty much never change in quality and what grows I should always be about the same texture and color wise.

Shave a husky? Their coats will change texturally because the gaurd hairs are gone. All you can see or feel is undercoat. Personally I find it very unpleasant to touch when it starts growing out, sort of like coarse unwashed wool minus the skin softening effects.
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 7:16am PST 
Yes, I'm speaking about people who shave goldens, chows, labs, etc, not breeds like shih tzus, yorkies and those type of mixes.
[notify]
Kale

Its A Husky- Thing,You- Wouldnt- Understand

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 9:45pm PST 
It's amazing how many people are uneducated when it comes to grooming dogs. Even people that have dogs that are groomed. I had one client at work say her schnauzer just got a hair cut because she was hot...thinking I got bombarded by a lady with a standard poodle. She said I was cruel for not "grooming" Kale, my Sibe. I explained what everyone here has said. It protects from the cold AND hot, exposes them to skin cancer, completely destroys their coat, etc. She scoffed and mumbled cruel as she walked off... irritating.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 5:34am PST 
I am totally agree with you. Anyone should not shave the dog to feel him cool. A dog’s coat works like a thermostat. It helps to maintain their body temperature in both hot and cold environment. Dogs do not sweat like human since they have the different mechanism to cool themselves. They only sweat in the pads of their paws. But if you shave the dog then it can create the problems to dog like skin burn.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5