GO!

Nail Clipping Question

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 10:11am PST 
http://youtu.be/YWOkW8wLiSk

And here's one showing how much to take off without hitting the quick.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 1:06pm PST 
In a dog with extra long black nails I usually pare down the first one taking a thin layer at a time. This allows me to get close to the quick without cutting it. Then, I "guesstimate" how much I took off that nail by the layers piled together and can safely take the same amount off the other nails.
Disclaimer... this method DOES NOT work for doing both front and rear nails with ONE measurement... you need to do a test nail on both a front foot AND a rear foot. It's also safer to test the middle nail as they sometimes wear faster.
Overall, it is a fairly fast, safe method to get them all shortened in less time which is important when you are a groomer and have to do multiple nail trims every day.
This method also works really well for those dogs who have really LONG nails and yet have quicks that are really NOT long at all. You can usually cut off as much as 1/2 to 5/8 inch safely without fear of exposing the quick. If you were slowly trimming a tiny bit at a time with these nails it would take forever.

Edited by author Fri Jul 6, '12 1:07pm PST

[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 1:35pm PST 
Thanks again everyone! smile
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2