GO!

Nail Clipping Question

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 11:14am PST 
When we first adopted Lily her nails were horribly over grown so her quicks are pretty darned long. (Her nails are so long that when I clip them it looks like I never touched them!!) When clipping nails do you clip to the white dot or the dark dot?
[notify]
Kc

Ain't nothing- but a hound dog.

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 6:45pm PST 
The dark dot.But Kc has clear-ish nails so we can see the quick. Mabye you're vet/groomer can shorten the quick somehow?dog
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 8:54pm PST 
Here's a link with a pretty good explanation and illustration. Most people seem to say that you just have to do a little bit every week to get it to recede--which is better than getting into the quick or too close to it.

http://www.drjwv.com/care.php?view=nail_trim.php
[notify]

Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 10:38am PST 
First off, thanks for posting this question... I was just about to ask the same thing.

Rocky has long nails, mainly because of his age and the fact that they are very hard to file down when he walks as we usually do field walks.

His quicks are now pretty long too and as he hates the vets and groomers, I thought I'd try to do it myself. Luckily he has a light coloured coat so his nails are also light coloured. Still, he acts like a wimp whenever I try to clip his nails but I'm doing them bit by bit...

Does anyone have any ideas about making it as nice an experience as possible?
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 12:56pm PST 
Rocky, what I do with Moose is I lay a bunch of crumbled treats down on the floor in front of him as he lays down. While he's licking up the goodies, I clip each nail. I'll have to throw down treats three or four times to get a good clipping, but that's what's worked for me.
You may want to take some wet food or peanut butter or something off the charts yummy and freeze it in a cup. Present the frozen doggy popsicle and let Rocky lick it as you try and clip. You may need someone to hold the popsicle.
With Moose, I clip off tiny amounts at a time. I'm freaked out about hitting the quick. I don't want to have him not let me touch his feet again.
His nails are clear so that makes it super easy.
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 2:46pm PST 
I use a dremel to file my dogs nails. It helps you get a better trim and you can see when you get close to the quick. I can probably make a video of me doing it then upload it here.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 2:59pm PST 
I'm not going near Lily with a Dremel. She is sound sensetive.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by author Tue Jul 3, '12 3:04pm PST

[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 3:05pm PST 
It was just a suggestionshrug
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 4:39pm PST 
Thanks for your suggestion.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 10:07am PST 
I've thought about the dremel too, but it's definitely an extra step in the conditioning process . . . . I've turned it on around Gus but, frankly I haven't had the patience to go to it systematically. She will let me file on them by hand quite patiently.

The vet trimming her nails and making her yelp twice was a set back for us (which I should have never let him do!) And now she's gotten suspicious of any instrument the vet comes at her with--the otoscope to look at her ears and they tried to draw blood last time we were there, something she's always cooperated with, and she wouldn't let them. :-

Here's a great video from Kikopup on how to condition them--it would work for clipping or dremeling . . . .http://youtu.be/LHgBvnQ71ss
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2