GO!

Soot problem

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Bella

I came, I saw, I- chewed it up.

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 4:02pm PST 
My son took apart a broken bbq grill. Left the lid on the grass for two minutes and naturally the dog had to jump in and get soot all over her legs. This is a bit on the greasy side. Would it be safe to use "Dawn" dish detergent to wash her in? I'm thinking, if they can use it on birds, it should work on a dog. Or is there anything else safer?
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 7:05pm PST 
Dawn is perfectly fine. You may need a second shampooing to get your dog really clean but the Dawn won't hurt your dog.
[notify]
Joe

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 2:13am PST 
that is fine, but you have to prepare another options such as shampoos.smilesmile
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 12:11pm PST 
Joe, as a general rule most shampoos, even 'grease removal' shampoos aren't up to getting off that sort of grease and grime. Dawn is not only safe but it's used by a lot of groomers to get a clean dog.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 7:41am PST 
Yep, I agree with Happy. I know some show groomers who specialize in terriers that show and hunt. Cleaning up an Airedale after a rough hunt to get him show ready...they use Dawn, or lemon Joy for the initial wash. Not only does it cut down on the wash time (you'd need at least two with a regular shampoo) but it rinses out of the coat very well.
[notify]