GO!

Puppy tries to eat the brush...?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Henry

See my butt??- Let's be- friends!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 6:07pm PST 
I have a 15 week old Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix who tries his hardest to devour the grooming brush. It feels like I've tried everything - we do it at about the same time every day, I give him treats/chewies to distract him, I encourage any signs of calm behavior in these instances, and I've even tried doing it when he's just woken up from a nap in hopes he'd be more mellow (this sometimes works when I put his harness on in the mornings - since he also has a huge problem with putting on/taking that off). Any suggestions on how to get him to relax and go with the flow? thinking
[notify]
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 7:00pm PST 
Here is how we do it....but you do need a helper!
We put a bath mat with rubber back on top of our kitchen island.
We have Keeva on that and while my husband combs her I have a small piece of cheese in my closed hand and hold her a bit with my other hand. Keeva will smell that cheese and work and work her little tongue trying to get inside my hand. I let her get a tiny piece of it and that keeps her focused and trying to get that cheese! Keeps her busy enough for my husband to comb her out pretty good. Maybe this will work for you if you can have someone helping you.
The things we go through for our pupsbig laugh
[notify]
Henry

See my butt??- Let's be- friends!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 7:34pm PST 
Thank you, I will try that! I already employ my sister in the bathing process for the little guy, I guess I will try to get her to help with the brushing too. smile
[notify]