GO!

Nail dremel recommendations?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 4:40pm PST 
I've got to buy Kit a new nail dremel. I had an Oster nail grinder that I've been using on him for the past 3 years but when I went to use it over the weekend I discovered that the power supply had somehow gotten broken. I emailed Oster hoping I could just buy a replacement power supply but unfortunately they said that they no longer make the model of dremel that I have and do not offer replacement parts.

So I haven't researched dremels in a long time - what do people recommend I get as a replacement? I'm open to getting either an actual dremel (although I've never used one before) or one made specifically as a pet nail grinder again.

Thanks smile
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 4:01pm PST 
I have a Dremel 300 Series, but I have it originally for model making work. I don't really know if you need a $65 dremel just for nails, if you don't need it for anything else.

But it works really well.. smile
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 4:32pm PST 
I have a $20 off brand dremel from Walmart. Been using it almost daily for over five years and it works GREAT!!!
[notify]

Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 5:16pm PST 
I use one I got from Harbor Freight lol! It is small and fits my hand nicely. When I break it I don't feel bad either. It does a great job on the dogs, but when I get lazy and tag myself it doesn't hurt. I have a real Dremel as well, but when I got my arm with it I was in some serious pain...so I try not to use it on the dogs.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 8:45pm PST 
The Oster nail grinder I had wasn't cheap either. I think it was around $60 or $70 when I got it 3 years ago. I wouldn't mind spending around that same amount to get a replacement.

I really liked how the Oster one I had had variable speeds instead of just an on/off switch or a few different speeds like some I looked at seemed to have.

So using an actual dremel should be pretty much the same as using one made specifically as a pet nail grinder right? I've never used an actual dremel before, but they look very similar to the nail grinder I had.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 10:48am PST 
An actual Dremel would probably have more power (it can be used as a small drill, on hard plastics, wood, etc). More power and RPM set at maximum than you would probably need for nails. It may also be a little bigger because of that.

My Dremel has the sliding speed adjustor - really handy. smile
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 3:09pm PST 
My knock off brand is REALLY powerful and also has a sliding dial for speed adjustment. It also accepts Dremel drums, but came with a whole case of accessories.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 10:07am PST 
What Toto said... The dremels they sell at walmart will give you way more power and they are durable, I used mine for over 7 years on grooming client's dogs, then since I've been unable to groom I use it on my five for the past 4 years or so. I actually think mine Is the dremel brand, the cordless one, and I'm sure it costs less than 40 in walmart.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '12 7:14am PST 
I've got a Walmart one Dremel 200 maybe? It's got the sliding speed adjuster and is generally very powerful. I maybe go to the middle on it. Any faster and I dislike the noise. I think it was under $20 on sale. Buy some 60 grit sandpaper heads and you can knock out nails of stone in under 5 minutes.

Like many pet products, the human version is cheaper though it may be the same thing/better than the pet version. You pay extra for the dog on the box. laugh out loud

Edited by author Sun Jun 10, '12 7:17am PST

[notify]