GO!

What are good clippers for a Shichon...? (prefer Wahl's..)

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 10:39pm PST 
If your budget is around $200 I would pick the andis excel 5 speed. You can pick up a new pair for around $179 on ebay. Havn't tried the laube, but I believe they are upward of around $300+ Excel's are super light weight, and have a narrow body. I am small in stature, so this was a deciding factor when I chose them.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 7:46am PST 
TY Lola..excellent suggestion..way to go
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 11:04am PST 
The Laube's are extremely light and have a low vibration to them.. but yes they are extremely expensive. I love my pair but they are hard to find people who can work on them, and you have to buy replacement parts from the company that makes them. They used to come in a verity of color, and they tend to need maintenance a little less often than the competitors. They aren't as widespread as your oster's or andes for the most part the wahls for dogs tend to be on the low end for quality, and not as much power. (power equates to a smoother, quicker groom)
[notify]

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 11:32am PST 
Thanks Happy..
you make excellent points..

I know a faster groom might be more beneficial, esp for those who groom more than one dog. But for me, the weight of the Osters and Andis are a bit much..Tho I realize sometimes a heavier product means a better quality product..

I ended up getting a pair of Wahl's..

It will be a while before I can use them, tho..
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 10:29am PST 
If you ever decide to invest the money the Laube's are only about nine ounces, they're the go to clipper for me since I have nerve damage in my hands and sever arthritis. They have a faster motor speed, which doesn't just equate to a faster groom but a smoother one. They are also one of the smallest diameters that I've found, which is important since I have small hands.

My only problem with walhs is they tend to be a bit less sturdy. Both groomers who had a set ended up replacing them in less than 6 months. Did you get the model with clip on replaceable blades or did you go for the one where the blades are part of the clipper? There is a big difference in performance between the models. Your replaceable blades are going to make a big difference in smoothness of the haircut.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 5:31am PST 
Ugh. I can't stand combs, they're such a pain. I have a Wahl where I can replace the 10-blade theoretically but I can't find any other blade lengths for it (It's the older style where you can just pull the blade off rather than the button) so it's only useful for keeping Jax's feet tidy between me dragging him into work (When I just redo them with a 40 anyway so it's a lot of wasted effort).

Actually a co-worker has the 5-speed Andis and another has the ultra-edge. One loves the Laubes and all their accessories but the five speed was one's "Best I can afford and comfortably replace if a dog kicks it off the table and it breaks". Her Andis has been pretty beaten up but at least that's one that can be replaced without too much drama.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2