GO!

What are good clippers for a Shichon...? (prefer Wahl's..)

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 9:10am PST 
After reading some reviews online, apparently different clippers work better for different dogs..

I have used both Andis and Wahl (on humans) and I prefer Wahl's. I know, I know, it may sound crazy to some, and I know dog hair and human hair are totally different, but that is a personal preference...wink

Plus I also like the fact that you can get 1" and 1.5" attachments for a Wahl..

Anybody know what would be a good one for a Shih Tzu/Bichon mix...? Thanks!! smile
[notify]
Augustus- Gloop

Cheese, Glorious- Cheese...

Barked: Sat May 19, '12 4:44am PST 
It really depends on how much you are willing to spend. I've had both Wahl and Andis. I prefer Andis. Blades, and guide combs are interchangeable for both makes. I like the Andis excel But for lower priced clippers, the KM-2 would be fine for a dog owner.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sat May 19, '12 8:16pm PST 
THANKS!! I will have to check those out!!! way to go
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Sun May 20, '12 4:12pm PST 
How much you want to spend is pretty much the deciding factor.

At home I have a cheapie Wahl which is fine for touch-ups. At work I use an Andis and when I have to shell out for another it will likely be Andis since it fits my hand well.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 2:30am PST 
Laube's are my go to clipper even now. I can't clip for long with nerve damage and arthritis but I can still use my laube's as needed for my dogs or if I Had to groom a coated dog. I also have a Wahl Arco SE but they aren't something I'd recommend for a full groom, I use them for feet and clipping manes on my horses. Andes are likely going to be your best bet, I'd spend the extra for these if you can. The one's a step below tend to heat up a bit faster which isn't a good thing if you're just learning.

As far as a powerhouse clipper Oster's are still my favorite, but even before my hands gave up on me they were too big and vibrated too much.

Honest opinion of someone who groomed most of my life is to spend as much as you can possibly afford if you plan on grooming your dog for the rest of his life. Yes the higher end clippers are pricey but the detachable blades, and durability will help you a Lot in the long run. Guide combs on a cheap clipper are never going to do as good of a job. Add to that in the long run you'll spend more having to continue to replace the cheaper clippers because the motor isn't up to doing full grooms.
[notify]
Ch.- Rushwind's- She Who- Speaks

Thats Ms. Bitch- to you.

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 1:55pm PST 
I Love my Andis UltraEdge. I find the Oster A5 too heavy for long term holding in one hand. I'm kinda a scrawny person lol. I have 2 Lightly used Osters and an Andis I'm trying to get rid of. Or you can check Amazon.com that is a good place too!
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 3:54pm PST 
Pet Edge or a groomer expo for the best prices or so I've been told. There's on in October in my area and a few of us are making the drive to pick up some new supplies and see some of the grooming comp. dogs.
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 10:35pm PST 
Love grooming expos!! I go every year to the All American in Chicago. $10 to get in and free parking smile Will probably go to the seminars again this year. I think it was $40 for the day? Want to get some more smocks/pants and my new favorite blade the 4 1/2 smile plus all the little extras that I have to have BOL
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 7:32am PST 
For what it's worth, I love my Andis, the 2 speeds are awesome at helping get through my pups thick hair. I've only been grooming my dogs since December/January, but a friend of mine that owns a pet spa recommended these to me. At the time I bought mine, the best price I found was on Amazon, but I know the prices change so it could be different right now.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 8:11am PST 
Price is not too much of a factor..
But obviously I do not want to spend more than $200.00 or so for a pair that is for home/private use..wink

I alays thought Oster and Andis clippers were heavy, which is why I tend to gravitate toward Wahl's. Also, not sure on the dog version, but on the human version, the Oster's seem to blow the hair all over the place..

Are the Laube's heavy...?
I have carpal tunnel so I try to avoid the heavy ones.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2