GO!

Has anyone tried detangling shampoo?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Ninja- (Sisters- Dog)

It\'s all right- to be little- bitty

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 5:55pm PST 
I'm asking for my sister. She said she'd like to try one for Ninja, but isn't sure what brand to pick up. I was just wondering if anyone has an experience with it in general and/or if there's a brand you'd recommend if it's even worth the money?
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 7:18am PST 
I wouldn't spend for it, personally. A good finishing spray/conditioning spray and a comb will do it better.

If she's worried about matting or he is matting up currently, don't get the dog wet since it will just felt the mats making it worse.
[notify]
Ch.- Rushwind's- She Who- Speaks

Thats Ms. Bitch- to you.

Barked: Wed May 9, '12 5:20am PST 
Google "The answer" its AMAZING. you can put the tiniest bit in a shampoo or an after bath conditioner.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed May 9, '12 6:33am PST 
NO detangling shampoo or spray is going to magically remove matts!! If your dog is bathed with matts present, they WILL end up making felt and will be much more difficult to remove. Make sure there are NO matts before bathing any coat!!!
That said, any good conditioner used after shampooing will go a long way toward preventing tangles while the coat is being blow dryed. It is imperative to totally rinse out ALL shampoo and/or conditioner as any left in the coat will also contribute to MORE tangles and ultimately matts since it leaves the coat sticky.
[notify]
Mario

Its-ah Supah- Marrrio Time!

Barked: Sat May 12, '12 10:17pm PST 
I use conditioner, a slicker, and a comb if the coat is really tangled... For a maintenance spray in between full grooms I use The Coat Handler. And yes, you can bathe a matted dog puppy just don't dry it before you brush it out. Leaving in conditioner helps a lot too. The conditioner I use on Mario, Vellus, on the directions even says you can leave some in if you would like. Always read the directions as each brand is different, as is the application process.
[notify]
Ninja- (Sisters- Dog)

It\'s all right- to be little- bitty

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 11:24am PST 
Thank you for the replies. wave

She's not looking for one to remove mats, but rather, to help in preventing them. I've never used detangling shampoos myself (I just use conditioner and a comb, too) so didn't know what to tell her when she asked. Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into some of the suggestions. Is there any finishing spray you can recommend or anything?
[notify]