GO!

Furminator?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 2:13pm PST 
I went to the pet supply store yesterday and they tossed a brochure in my bag. It's for the Furminator. Any feedback on this product? I planned on stopping by the groomers to get some advice later on in the week but just wanted opinions. When I sit down to pet Luke, I can get quite a bit of loose hair coming off in my hands. I never really noticed this much with our previous dog, probably because he was a so small compared to Luke, not that active so he wasn't all over the house, and he wasn't on the furniture. Luke likes free roam of the house and he's proven himself so I don't mind but I would like to do all I can to get the shedding under control. Also, how does deshedding shampoo work? My worry is that it is harsh on the skin since I bathe Luke twice a month. I already noticed a little dry skin on his back, nearer to his tail.

Right now I use a bristle brush and a slicker brush for about 10 minutes a day outside. It's about all he'll tolerate and I'm still trying to get him used to it.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 4:59pm PST 
That is like the GOD SEND for shot haired dogs that shed.

Jake has those nasty 'needle' like hairs that just stick to everything. I brushed him once with his bristle brush i got for $5-7 at Petsmart. Then right after that I brushed him with the small sized Furminator since i wasn't about to pay more then $40 bucks for a slightly larger brush and bam i brushed so much hair off my dog it was a miracle ;D

I brush him once a day with the Furminator during grooming time and jake loves it and i love that he doesn't shed all over every thing big grin

So I use it and I love it.

There are a lot of look alikes but haven't tried any of those.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 9:07pm PST 
If you do decide to buy the Furminator, don't buy it retail.
I bought mine through Amazon and paid $6 for a brand new one. With shipping I think it came to a total of $10. Compared to $40 or more at a pet store.
Also check out Overstock.com.
[notify]

Luke

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 9:12am PST 
Thanks! I think I might try it! I spent an hour vacuuming the couches and the cushions this weekend. LOL!
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 11:40am PST 
Less is more, it is very easy to 'brush burn' your dog useing a furminator. I would save that for weekly brushing and use something like a zoom groom for regular daily brushing (as well as while bathing) Zoom grooms are essentially rubber curry's and if you have an equine tack shop around you can generally pick up the same thing for half the price, and they tend to hold up better.

Furminator's have their place but you do have to be careful with them, you can go overboard and irritate skin and coat.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:09pm PST 
I agree, the furminator is great. The zoom groom hasn't really done much for my two.

And I agree with Moose. Don't buy retail. What are they, like 50-60 bucks!?!

I got mine from ebay for $10. I made sure to buy from an American seller though.
[notify]
Timmy

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:42pm PST 
Love it!cheercheercheer
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 5:40pm PST 
Almost exact same thing at the local supermarket.. $3......

Beware if the huge rip off pice that is just really buying a name. There is plenty out there the same.. for ALOT less money.

That said.. its a godsend for Lucas... Flicka is low maintainance.!
[notify]
Luke

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 6:19am PST 
I am sooooo buying one of these today. Funny that I didn't notice him shedding the first month we had him but now, holy cow.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 8:11am PST 
I use mine weekly during dog building season (coat blowing) and monthly the rest of the time. Wonderful tool, but don't overuse it, it can be harsh. I paid about $14.00 for my large one from ebay.
[notify]