GO!

Golden Retriever grooming?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

♥- Babe- ♥

I am a puppy in- a big dog suit!

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 9:30pm PST 
My Golden Retriever, Babe, is shedding really bad right now. She's shedding big clumps of fur. I recently asked a lady who fosters dogs through the rescue I volunteer with, who's a groomer, why Babe is shedding so badly. Since this seems abnormal for her and I've never seen her shed this bad. The groomer said that indoor dogs shed all year long due to the indoor lighting. I'm still confused because I've never seen her shed so badly. We took her to the vet last week and had her thyroid checked, and to see if we needed to up the doseage of her medicine for Hypothyroidism. It came back completely normal and she's healthy. They had no explanation for her "abnormal" shedding. They said it's normal and she just needs to have a complete brush and bath and just have her coat completely deshedded. They also recommended having her shaved down. We did that once, but her fur grew back in patches and took almost 1 1/2 years to grow back completely, which we weren't warned of. We don't really want to do that again. If she does end up being groomed, I would like it to be done professional as I don't trust myself to do as good of a job as a professional groomer.

Does this sound normal to anyone? What would be the best thing to do? Thanks!

Edited by author Sun Feb 12, '12 9:50pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 8:59am PST 
Sassy had a horrible shed just before she ended up with bad kidneys. I think she probably was dehydrated at the time so skin health was poor. The hair just flew off her. If you petted her the fur slid out from under your hand. Horrible. If you have been doing blood tests get hard copies and compare year to year. Perhaps there is a trend and some organ system or another is getting weak.

No you cannot give as good a grooming as a professional with a high velocity dryer and the expertise to get all the hair out. I found that giving the dogs a warm bath and brushing them until they were completely dry took out just as much hair as using the little HV I have. Before the bath take out as much as you can with an undercoat rake and rake/comb/brush during the bath as well. Usually this treatment meant less shedding for about a week even during real coat blowing season. The pro treatment probably lasts 4x that long.

Also try getting more fat and water into her. Add some water or unsalted broth or watered down canned dog food or canned sardines with water into the meals. Make sure she gets about an ounce of water per pound of dog per day.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 8:10am PST 
First off I'd suspect some sort of health problem going on. Make sure you have her on a really good quality food and she is drinking enough water.

Going to the groomer for a good bath and blow out is a good idea to deal with the problem at the moment, but I don't recommend shaving her, especially if she's had problems growing back her hair before. Shaving her will only cover up the problem not fix it, and I'm baffled that the vet would even recommend that as an option rather than listen to your concerns on this.

There are more natural causes that can start and unusual shed like unusual weather and the like, but I always like to rule out health issues first.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 2:30pm PST 
I was just going to suggest weather Happy!

I know we're having a warmer than usual winter, could she be blowing her coat early? Any diet changes or med changes?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 3:01pm PST 
We groomed a golden and a lab today and both were actually "peeling" they were shedding so badly.
Both dogs are in excellent health and needed a good bath and brushing. That coat is their Winter growth, dropping early due to the increased warmth this Spring(WINTER??)
We blew out all that loose hair with brushing and our HV dryers and they both looked like a million bucks!! The lab owner did not recognize her dog!!!!
[notify]
♥- Babe- ♥

I am a puppy in- a big dog suit!

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 10:49am PST 
Babe is on Blue Buffalo Weight Management Hard Food. She drinks regularly and has access to fresh water all day. There hasn't been any diet or medicine changes recently. The weather has been somewhat warm lately, when it's supposed to be winter, but it continues to get cold then warm, cold then warm. So, that could be the problem. I will look into getting her re-checked and get hard copies of the blood tests. I wonder if she would need a full CBC? I know we are pretty broke with money right now. As soon as we get paid, we will take her in. I think we will get her groomed first (bath, brush and de-shed) and see if the shedding problem is resolved. If it is not resolved, we will take her to the vet for more extensive testing to see if there's an underlying medical issue.

Thank You for all you help! hug

Edited by author Wed Feb 15, '12 10:52am PST

[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 11:28am PST 
If when you get her groomed she comes back with a shiny healthy looking coat that is soft to the touch, then you are likely in good shape. I would still get her check out, but I wouldn't be too worried if her top coat is in good shape.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 12:55pm PST 
Sassy had access to fresh water all the time too but she was having trouble getting enough inside her as she aged. You might try measuring the water in the bowl and after the day is over just so you know she is taking enough in.

I am sure it is just a big coat change over triggered by the weather. I don't think a single one of Sassy's sheds was exactly the same. The best one was during a camping trip in hot weather. Over the course of 3 weeks it all came out and she didn't lose another hair until January.
[notify]