GO!

Australian Shepherd coat

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 5:43pm PST 
Sadie is my first Aussie so I thought I would get some advice and knowledge from Australian Shepherd owners out there..

Sadie is about 4 1/2 going on 5 months now. A lot of people have mentioned that her coat is very slick for a puppy her age. I don't plan on showing her but I'm just wondering if that is something that occurs in puppies or if it is a case by case situation. I've met her parents and litter mates before and they are all full grown regular Aussies with thick fluffy coats. Ive tried doing some online searching but have found no answers. Some people suggest not bathing the dog as often. I bathe her about once every 1-2 weeks. Please let me know if you have any suggestions, advice, or knowledge to send my way! Thank you!
[notify]
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 8:38pm PST 
Bathing won't change her coat. Being really aggressive with the Furminator can make a coat look flat (because it strips out the undercoat) but you didn't mention doing that.

Maggie's coat was always thick, even as a puppy, but Aussie coats vary a lot. Some are thick and fluffy, (Maggie is as hairy as a Rough Collie!) some are thin and silky (more like a Border Collie). It could just be your girl inherited some recessive genes and got the thinner coat. It will certainly fill in more as she grows too, up to about 2 years old.

You could also try the old "Grow Hair on a Doorknob" formula, or a variation on it, or try a fish oil supplement daily. The extra fat and omega-3 fatty acids are supposed to help with skin/coat health.
[notify]
Sadie

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 11:45pm PST 
Thank you! I will try that! smile
[notify]