GO!

What is a sanitary trim?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 4:55pm PST 
Any takers? It was mentioned at TAFE the other day but I don't really know what it is or how it's done. I'm guessing its a trim for dogs with longer hair or feathers around under the tail?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 5:07pm PST 
Chance got what the vet called a "sanitary trim" last year to help increase air circulation to her with her vulvar irritation problem. She is very furry in the butt area even without her pantaloons.

The hair was clipped to about 1" long from just below her anus to just above her vulva.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 12:14am PST 
Depends on where you go as to what hair they take off but generally around the anus and genitals, some groomers will also shave belly's. It Can cause irritation in those areas and some dogs hate it. Depends on what kind of coat you're dealing with to see if it is really worth it.
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 8:50am PST 
It usually means that the coat is clipped shorter from directly under the tail down past the anus and genitals. I have an Airedale x Std. poodle with a very curly/wavy/wiry coat and I'm a huge fan of the sanitary trim...and so is she. When she starts getting what we call a 'trap door', we know it's time to take care of it. Sorry, probably TMI but for some dogs it can be very helpful to know why they are so much more comfortable when it's kept shorter there....dog
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 11:13am PST 
applauselaugh out loudbig laughway to go
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 2:13pm PST 
yah. If your dog ever gets "dingleberries" or (even worse) "poo dreads" he needs a sanitary trim. If that's never a problem for you, then don't bother.

Maggie gets them when she goes to the groomer, because of her long pantaloons. Bruno doesn't need any trimming to keep his butt clean,his hair is naturally short in the right places.
[notify]