GO!

Brushing teeth/toothpaste question?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Twiggy

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 10:26pm PST 
A vet once told us that If you give your dog a small bit of carrot or cabbage stalk 2 or 3 times a week they will never have any problems with their teeth. Seems to work for us.
[notify]
Dougal

I own zero, but- I'm seldom- dissatisfied

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 2:42pm PST 
My two canine housemates and I used to get thick tartar build-up that needed frequent scraping and brushing, but since we've all been gnawing and crunching a chunky pork bone or two once a week, there's virtually none of that at all.
Now we don't need to stay still while the funny-looking human who lives with us pokes around and cleans in our slobbery mouths two or three times a month.
That suits us all just fine.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 2:57am PST 
Foxxy still gets buildup on her incisors, a problem that she's had since we got her. Tooth brushing is probably a smart idea of your dog is jowly, sometimes food particles get trapped up in the skin. Also if the dog has a brachycephalic head, protruding teeth, or primitive teeth like you see with inca orchids and chinese cresteds. The last two kinds will have very thin enamel and prone to decay. I don't know if the dogs that have bad teeth as a breed problem like that are able to chew bones safely so a cleaning is probably best.

I brush my dogs teeth 1ce a day with enzaymatic toothpaste and a toothbrush designed for toddlers that has soft bristls and a tiny head. It's not just teeth cleaning it's gum stimulation and a chance to desensitize the dog to people messing with their mouths. Enzymatic is a better toothpaste than simply bakingsoda and flavor. It seems to get the plaque off quicker and with less of the product used per brushing.

Edited by author Wed Feb 8, '12 2:59am PST

[notify]

Dougal

I own zero, but- I'm seldom- dissatisfied

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 5:02am PST 
I'd guess it's true that not all breeds would be up to grinding and cracking chunky knuckle bones, but there are also CET enzymatic rawhide chews available. They're a tad softer.
We've tried the chews and bones, and we get along best with the bones.
[notify]
Ginger

Feed me.

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 9:25pm PST 
I know that some people swear by giving their dogs bones and while I respect that, I have to say that I've seen a lot of bone chewers who have broken canines.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2