GO!

Brushing teeth/toothpaste question?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 9:07pm PST 
I'm aware of the importance of brushing my shih tzu's teeth and I brush them everyday, but I'm sort of confused about the doggy toothpaste. It's just occurred to me that I've never seem to come across information about it online, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a quality difference between the doggy toothpastes. If there is, can anyone recommend a brand that is pretty easy to find and good quality? Sorry for the stupid question.
[notify]
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 11:49am PST 
Ooooh, good question! I never used doggie toothpaste before. I started brushing Luke's teeth because he's a poop eater and I've seen some poop caught in his teeth (ewwwww). It grossed me out so much, I grabbed a new toothbrush from the linen closet, dipped in a little chicken broth and brushed them clean. Not sure if that's the "proper" thing to do or not but I needed that poop gone! Surprisingly, he didn't fuss at all and I had to shoo him away when I was done. He just kept standing there opening his mouth and nudging my hand for more brushing. Since he's so cool about it and seems to enjoy it, I continue with it. I'm going to keep watching this thread to see if anyone has insight on the toothpaste thing though.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 2:11pm PST 
Most dog toothpastes are enzymatic in nature rather than the sort we humans use *which are deadly to dogs* which means it's more about getting the toothpaste On the teeth than the scrubbing action.

I actually don't brush my dogs teeth because they're fed raw and I rarely have any issues with buildup. The CET was the brand we recommended when I groomed. We had a package were we would brush the teeth and send home the toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste.
[notify]

Boston

King of- everything

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 7:51pm PST 
Petz life is the only thing I have found that works really well.
[notify]
♥CHLO- E♥

Chloe's got Mom- wrapped around- her paws

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '12 9:28am PST 
I've been brushing Chloe's teeth with Petrodex Natural Toothpaste peanut butter flavor and Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste poultry flavor since she was a pup - you can get it at Petco.

She doesn't particularly like having it done but she gets weekends offlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

Everyone says her teeth are amazingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancing
[notify]
Robert - (Robby)

He also prefers- Sir Robertington

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 9:59pm PST 
I will soon have two Alaskan Malamute pups (14 weeks of age) How often should their teeth be brushed??
[notify]
Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 4:01pm PST 
Chloe- That sounds great, does your dog's vet also say that her teeth are great? I just want to make sure I'm not going to buy something that doesn't work well on my little one's teeth, as his vet said he has a bit of an unusual tartar build-up for his age (due to his breed... he's a shih-tzu).

In case anyone was wondering, I'm well aware not to use human toothpaste on the doggy, I have never used anything other than chicken flavoured doggy toothpaste from PetSmart. I'm just unsure of the quality of it, hence my question.

Robert- The type of food you feed your dogs, as well as their breed, impacts how often their teeth need to be brushed. Certain dogs are more prone to dental problems, tartar build-ups, etc. than others. The vet you take the dogs to should be able to tell you, or at least mine was able to for my dog.
[notify]
Ellie

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 4:56pm PST 
Carter, I use the chicken flavor toothpaste from Petsmart, too. I brush Ellie's teeth every night, and she has great teeth. She also occasionally gets a raw meaty bone.
[notify]
Monnie

Spreading Smiles- As A Tribute For- Lexi

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 9:10pm PST 
We use the chicken flavored toothpaste from the vet office. Works great!

Edited by author Sun Feb 5, '12 9:10pm PST

[notify]
Ginger

Feed me.

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 8:15am PST 
The highest vet recommended toothpaste is CET Tartar Control. I get the seafood flavor on Amazon.

The best toothbrush, I've found is the Petosan Silent Power and you can also get that on Amazon.

It may be an investment now but it'll save you from professional cleaning later.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2